FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stereo vs Mono in Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittany DeLillo
Stereo vs Mono in Avid
on Aug 3, 2015 at 8:46:20 pm

I'm starting a project where the audio was recorded in both Stereo and Mono. This is a first for me; usually I get one version and deal with the consequences of it.

What's the benefit of having two different formats for the audio? Should I sync my footage to the Stereo or Mono track? My initial reaction is to sync to Stereo but wanted to get a second opinion.

Also, Adobe Premiere has flexibility in changing audio files (making a 1 track stereo file 2 or vice versa). Can I do that in Avid as well?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Stereo vs Mono in Avid
on Aug 3, 2015 at 10:07:06 pm

I'll bet they recorded mono of each mic, them a stereo mix of all tracks. Why? Some workflows allows you to edit with only the stereo track and then post mix can get all the masters and conform all the mono tracks. I'd stick with the mono tracks unless a conform is in the budget and on the plan. Most often it isn't

And yes, Avid can have mono and stereo tracks on the se sequence. Do it a lot

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brittany DeLillo
on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:26:21 am

Normally that's what I'll get, a stereo track with each mic on a separate channel, but when I look at the waveforms, they're the same. The only real difference is one has two tracks and the other has one. I've added a photo of the audio stacked on top of each other for reference.

It seems I just have to decide which I prefer. The Mono is just the stereo collapsed to one track.

And what I meant about Premiere was in "Modify Clip" you can change the way it reads the Audio Channels, what the channel format is, etc. (http://larryjordan.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Channels003.jpg) Wanted to know if there was an Avid equivalent of this.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:00:54 am

Every track you have there is MONO. A Stereo track would have two speakers. Like this:

So it looks like you have ONE mono track, that also happened to be recorded to TWO other tracks...as stereo. But not as stereo tracks....dual mono tracks, one possibly panned Left and the other possibly panned right. But all are mono. Do you have more than those three audio tracks?

And yes, in Avid you can modify audio to be MONO or STEREO. Click on the clip, go to the CLIP menu and choose MODIFY....Multichannel audio...and then make it stereo, or mono....multiple mono. But the exampe you show...all are mono tracks, and mono audio clips. Stereo clips are single track....but stereo...like I show.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Brittany DeLillo
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:11:31 am

Yeah, every audio take has a "Stereo" and a "Mono" version. Probably over 200 clips of audio in total. I think you're right with the dual mono situation. I didn't even think of that since there's really no difference in the audio quality other than it being a little louder (from two mono channels combined into one).

What's the point of creating two different types of audio files if they're, at their essence, the same?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:49:47 am

Some higher end workflows allow for audio to b conformed in the audio mix. That is to say to have all the masters loaded on their end, instead of sending an AAF of the cut you work on. In this case, if you have 12 audio stems, to keep things simple, they tell editors to cut with the stereo track keeps timelines smaller. But in this case, I see no point in doing that. Use the mono.

On show I cut, we don't conform, so I need to use the 8-10 audio tracks on my timeline.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]