MXF and OMFI folders

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Taylor
MXF and OMFI folders
on Aug 2, 2015 at 10:23:52 pm

Hi,

RE: Media composer

What is the maximum number of files we can store (on one volume/HDD) in MXF and OMFI folders?

Does MC 6.5 vs MC 8 have different limitations?

If I have too many files in my OMFI folder - do I need to convert them to .mxf, or is there another strategy?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: MXF and OMFI folders
on Aug 3, 2015 at 8:33:18 am

I dont think theres a limitation, but Avid will create new folders when neccessary. BUT Id suggest asking on the avid.com community as someone there will know exactly what the limits are for you rather than my guess.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:07:49 am

Inside the MXF folder are numbered folders. There is a 5000 file limit for those. When one is full, Avid will make a new one. No need to do this manually

Not sure what OMFI limit is, but again, if it gets too full, and makes another to deal with it.

And plenty of us big Avid usere frequent the Cow.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:03:50 pm

I need to confirm, but I don't think the OMFI folder created new ones as there is no sub-folder hierarchy within OMF folder as there is with MXF. Taht is one of the advantages of using MXF.

Michael

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Aug 6, 2015 at 5:52:45 am

What Michael says. No subfolders for OMFI MediaFiles. I've had folders with 15,000 files in them, but you don't want to have to rebuild the media database for such a folder. Also, the OS will become very slow when opening folders like that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]