FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow and sluggish AVID 7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ludmil Kazakov
Slow and sluggish AVID 7
on Jul 29, 2015 at 11:20:37 pm

I am working on a documentary with all footage AMA linked.. we have all sort of different formats and frame rates and on some timelines avid works great but on others its very slow and sluggish.. i mean it takes 8-9 seconds to register a key stroke.. I have roughly 22TB footage running trough AVID.. h264 is the worst, but most of it is converted to ProRes.. Also much of the footage is RED Raw..

How is your experience with AMA?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Slow and sluggish AVID 7
on Jul 30, 2015 at 1:30:09 am

Experience shows...never actually edit when only linked via AMA. AMA is just what it says..."Avid Media ACCESS." Once accessed, the media really should be transcoded to Avid media...either high quality DNxHD if you have the space, or offline quality, like DNx36, if you need to conserve space, and then relink once you lock the cut.

I can really only recommend AMA link editing if you have very little footage, it's a short project, and your media is professional quality, like ProRes, or XDCAM or DVCPRO HD...never MP4 or H.264.

Link, and transcode.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Slow and sluggish AVID 7
on Jul 31, 2015 at 8:49:36 pm

I don't think I would ever try to work with linked r3ds in Avid.

In Resolve I can get real time with half res, but that is using 3 graphics cards in my system.

I have had great success with prores...to the point where I don't even think about it anymore. (I'm usually running on a pegasys 18 TB with thunderbolt)

H.264 would also get transcoded pretty quick in my room.

Don't forget that your drives are very important in this scenario, not just the flavour of the footage.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]