FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating an Alpha Channel in Avid MC 8

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gil Litver
Creating an Alpha Channel in Avid MC 8
on Jul 17, 2015 at 9:52:15 pm

Is it possible in MC 8 to created a quicktime with an Alpha Channel? I have a sequence with built in lower thirds and titles and am trying to bring it in to the Nucoda Film Master. It would be great if Avid allowed you to do this. I have a sequence stripped with just the text. I tried exporting a quicktime with Pro Res 4444 Millions + and switched my project to RGB 709, but it didn't seem to incorporate an alpha channel. I should also note the project is from 23.98.

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Creating an Alpha Channel in Avid MC 8
on Jul 18, 2015 at 1:03:02 am

Can't do it. Sorry.

If you have FCP 7, you can do it if you do not render the sequence.

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Jul 20, 2015 at 3:46:53 am

http://www.avidblogs.com/media-composer-8-4-download-now-available/

You can apparently using version 8.4:

Alpha Support for Quicktime DNxHR
Timelines that contain alpha channels can now be exported as Quicktime DNxHR files. Using a third-party application, you can create QuickTime wrapped DNxHR movies that contain an alpha channel and Fast Import or link these files into Media Composer.
Available today in the Media Composer 8.4 update—ALPHA SUPPORT for QUICKTIME DNxHR.

Jon

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 20, 2015 at 12:32:46 pm

That's awesome. I missed that in the release notes.
thanks for posting that.

Return to posts index

Jon Hensen
on Jul 20, 2015 at 10:01:56 pm

That is great news indeed.

Another alternative that involves a trip to After Effects would be exporting a targa sequence on a keyable background, and then keying it out in AE and rendering with ALPHA.

Just in case!

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on May 23, 2016 at 8:52:37 pm

Does anyone have any more information about this? I'm a colorist working in resolve on a feature that would like to deliver me subtitles from the Avid. DNxHR exports with alpha have major artifacts for me when importing into resolve. The edges of the text have lots of crazy noise, like perhaps an issue with the alpha not being pre-multiplied? But resolve only lets me choose pre-multiplied.

best-
-N

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on May 24, 2016 at 3:40:01 pm

To show what I'm talking about here is an example of what text exported as DNxHR with embedded alpha looks like when I import it into resolve. It looks as if the alpha matte is not being properly pre-multiplied against the fill.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 25, 2016 at 3:48:33 am

Timelines that contain alpha channels can now be exported as Quicktime DNxHR files. Using a third-party application, you can create QuickTime wrapped DNxHR movies that contain an alpha channel and Fast Import or link these files into Media Composer.

I'm not so sure about this. just tried it with a keyable quicktime into Avid.
Exported both DNXHR and DNXHD out of avid with uncompressed alpha channel turned on in the export settings. Neither one displays an alpha channel when reimported into Avid or Fusion.

I'm questioning the wording of this statement anyway. Part of me thinks they are saying i can export it..the other part of me says this statement says i can import it..if it is made in a third party application.

If i have an element with a keyable element that was created in a third party application, why do i need to export it out of avid as a keyable element? Its already a keyable element.

If i put it on a full piece of video, it would now export with full screen alpha anyway. (i would need a way of exporting the source clip, not the comped timeline) From what i can tell, Avid's timeline always has solid alpha on the output.

In my attempt, i put the clip by itself at the end of the timeline, so there was no video under it, but it still came back with solid alpha.

Like i said...i'm not so sure about the wording of that statement. Importing alpha is nothing new...but they seem to go out of their way to say that the alpha needs to be created in a third party application, and then it can be imported.

If anyone does get it to work, i'd be interested to hear what your settings were.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on May 25, 2016 at 7:56:52 pm

Hmm, yeah I can't get it to work at all. Is there a way to get TIFFs with alpha or transparency out of Avid? I swear I've done that before but it doesn't seem to be working now.

Any advice on EXACTLY how to get tiff with transparency out of the avid and into resolve?

Thanks
-Nat

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 25, 2016 at 8:02:17 pm

As far as i know...and opposed to comment from Avid, it can't be done.

I've always used DS or Fusion or After Effects or even Photoshop for this type of thing.

In a Ghetto workflow, you could rip the matte key apart in Avid. Expand the key container out, and remove both the fill and matte, and export them both as seperate elements.

Then recombine them in Resolve. In theory, the matte should hold up as an external alpha in Resolve.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]