FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't seem to transcode

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Mutton
Can't seem to transcode
on Jul 11, 2015 at 7:20:51 am

I'm sure I'm doing something daft, but I'd be grateful if someone could help me suss out what!

I have a bunch of files AMA linked in various bins. (AVCHD .MTS files amongst other things)
I want to convert them to ProRes MXFs.
I'm right clicking on a file I want to transcode, then choosing 'consolidate / transcode' and filling in the pop us as in this screenshot.
When I click transcode (which lights up once I've selected the drive), the window closes, but no new clip is created.
There is also no "Avid media files" folder created on my drive root.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Can't seem to transcode
on Jul 11, 2015 at 4:24:53 pm

How is the drive formatted? Make sure it's Mac OSX Extended. It won't work with EXFat. If using NTFS, you need to have Paragon NTFS for Mac or Tuxera(?) to write to the drive. FAT32 is also problematic, because of the 4GB file size limitation and speed issues. If you are running Avid on PC you cannon transcode to ProRes.

If the drive is formatted correctly but Avid still refuses to create an Avid MediaFiles folder using the transcode command try this....

Import a graphic or small audio file and set the drive as your target media drive. If it works, you will now have a valid Avid MediaFiles folder. Now try to transcode.

Return to posts index

Geoff Mutton
on Jul 11, 2015 at 6:28:28 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly, still no joy. The drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and I tried importing an image to create an Avid folder and still nothing.
This is really odd, because I've had this working before.
I plugged in the drive I've had success with and it happily transcoded - so your instinct that it doesn't like the drive seems correct.

Any pointers on ways of trying to get MC and my hard drive to be friends?

Return to posts index

Geoff Mutton
on Jul 11, 2015 at 6:36:39 pm

UPDATE: After it working once on the 'old' drive, I decided to try one more time - and it worked straight away.
How odd - I've changed nothing and done nothing but plug in the old drive I no longer use.

Further update: If I eject the old drive, it stops working again (even when I'm trying to transcode footage from the 'new drive' onto the new drive.

This project began life on the old drive. I suspect in my noob-state I've committed another Avid sin.
I just copied every folder across from the old (2TB) drive to the new one (4TB).

Does the project still think it's living on the old drive, or something?
Sorry for the dullness and entry-level stuff. I'm still trying to get my head around MC after 15 years of Final Cut!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 11, 2015 at 10:02:45 pm

Once you got it working (after mounting the old drive), was an Avid MediaFiles folder created?
I am assuming Yes. Are you sure media is appearing in it?

You are now saying the new drive no longer works, after ejecting the old drive (even though a valid Avid MediaFiles folder has been created).

Just trying to be clear about what is happening. No...its not normal.

Is there anything weird about the name of the new drive? Is there a "/" or any other unusual character? Did the drive come pre-formatted or did you do it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]