FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Three Monitor Display

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Flesher
Avid Three Monitor Display
on Jul 10, 2015 at 5:00:26 pm

Hello all, I am trying to rig a third display for clients.

Normally, I edit with my second monitor in fullscreen mode. I would like to provide a third monitor that also plays in full screen mode. When working in FCP or Premiere I normally drag the "Record" monitor to my second screen and play my third screen in Full Screen Playback.

Is there an option in Avid to create an duplicate Record Monitor that I can drag to Monitor Two while Monitor Three plays Full Screen?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid Three Monitor Display
on Jul 10, 2015 at 6:19:13 pm

The best way to have two computer displays for work, and then a third for full screen playback, is to have an IO device to send the signal to an HDTV, or display with HDMI in. BlackMagic Design IO cards are the least expensive, AJA has good solid options. Both offer options that are output only...AJA T-TAP and Decklink Ultrastudio Mini Monitor.

There are also USB to DVI adapters, so you can power a display from a USB port.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Flesher
on Jul 10, 2015 at 6:28:19 pm

Thanks, that seems like a good option.

However, to be more specific, I am more interested and curious if I can create a detachable second "Record" window that I can move around my displays. I believe I read this could be done in Avid Agility, but for the life of me I cannot find that passage so I don't know if I made it up.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 11, 2015 at 3:40:28 pm

I'm pretty sure there is no way to make multiple record monitors. You can make one giant one, that eliminates the source monitor. You then can get multiple pop up source monitors. Not really what you want. I don't know anyone who uses that feature regularly. What's wrong with what Shane suggested? That's how nearly everyone does it. There are very inexpensive options available, if cost is the roadblock.

Return to posts index

Daniel Flesher
on Jul 11, 2015 at 4:16:10 pm

I will look into the hardware options, but I am running an iMac so they might be limited. The issue isn't getting the three monitors up and running (I've achieved this already with Thunderbolts), but getting two of them to be Fullscreen Playback monitors.

Thanks, I'll investigate hardware.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 11, 2015 at 6:43:10 pm

That's easy then. USB to DVI so that you can have your iMac monitor, and then second monitor. And then Thunderbolt to a Thunderbolt IO box that has loop through, like AJA IoXT or Decklink Ultrastudio...the loop thru goes to a THunderbolt to DVI adapter to another computer display, and you can full screen that...and then HDMI out of the IO Box to an HDTV or computer display via HDMI.

Like what I have here...but I have an added Thunderbolt Bridge.

http://lfhd.net/2015/06/13/thunderbolt-docks-a-review-2/

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ben Northenor
on Jul 15, 2015 at 3:04:36 pm

I am having issues. I have 2 imacs for monitors, one has my timeline source ect, the other has my bins and above them I have an HDTV on the wall. I can't get the HDTV to playback my video. It works when I go to System Pref > Display. I can see that 3 monitors are hooked up, but when I do full screen playback, it plays on the iMac. How should I have my "Display" set up?

http://www.bennorthenor.com

Return to posts index

dillon47
on Mar 29, 2016 at 12:33:46 am

Hey guys, so I found a solution. I have an iMac 5k 2015, a toshiba 25" as a second monitor and a BenQ projector for my client monitor. The way to get it to work is avid likes to play with everything being the same (which has been frustration for those coming form FCP or Premiere) and that includes monitors. So I have both my projector and Toshiba monitor set at 1080p and my 5k retina display set at one to the left from the default (closer to the Larger Text option) under the resolution option to set to "Scaled". It's still a little bigger than 1080p but when I open the Full Screen Playback out of my Avid settings and place it on my project and hit "Select Monitor" I finally get some numbers pop up under "Current monitor position:". Once they do, hit OK and you are in business. Obviously sucks because you are not utilizing the full resolution of the 5k retina display, but you can always switch it back and forth depending when you are working with clients.

Forgot the I/O boxes and out of sync playback, go straight out of your system and you are set. Hope this helps ya'll

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 29, 2016 at 1:31:42 am

How are these other monitors connected?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

dillon47
on Mar 29, 2016 at 2:10:50 am

Two thunderbolt to HDMI adapters, out of the iMac 5K

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 29, 2016 at 2:16:25 pm

I'm on a PC, and have a setup where the client sits on a couch off to the side of me, facing the 50 inch client monitor.

I use a 32 inch ultra wide monitor for all my editing needs.

To satisfy the clients need to "look over my shoulder" I use a mirroring program to feed a second monitor that sits off to the side of the client couch. (I use a program called ultramon) It allows me to mirror a full monitor, part of a screen, or only specific programs. It does work best with similar display sizes, but in my situation, it gets the job done.

In your setup, a similar item might work. I'm assuming you already have the third display hooked into your computer somehow. You would then "mirror" the second display onto the third display. Not sure if its available for macs however.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]