FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID sound file weirdness

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Dorchen
AVID sound file weirdness
on Jul 9, 2015 at 4:09:07 am

Using a Sennheiser 416, recording into a Sony M10 pcm, at 48k 24bit. When I record the levels seem good on the Sony display. When they're imported into Avid (this happens on all our computers running Avid) the mixer shows the signal well into the red, while the Audio Tool meter shows the signal very low. This renders the files unusable. I've tried every setting variation I can think of. Anybody encounter anything like this?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AVID sound file weirdness
on Jul 9, 2015 at 1:12:19 pm

Hmmm.... are they stereo files being summed when playing back (just guessing)? How do they play in other applications? If you can send a small example, I will give it a look/listen: michael[at]24p[dot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 9, 2015 at 6:53:37 pm

The issue with it not sounding as you expect is because the source clips are coming in with pan set to mid on both tracks. If you open the mixer with the source clip active, you can pan A1 to far left and A2 to far right and it will now be what you expected with matching levels and volume.

I believe you can set that as a batch process if I recall. That is what I meant by "summed".My audio vernacular is not as good as my video.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Dorchen
on Jul 9, 2015 at 7:00:51 pm

Thanks, we're going to try this as soon as we get caught up on our reels!

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Dorchen
on Jul 15, 2015 at 3:37:40 am

That wasn't it. It wasn't a disparity between stereo tracks, but between the AVID audio tool and the mixer.

But we solved that! We figured out it was the Sennheiser's signal that was the problem, plugged in a 48PH to 12T barrel converter, and that solved the disparity in volume readings. It was impedance interference. Maybe. Anyway: What I record from the Sennheiser is what I hear in the AVID audio tool! Success!

BUT -- there's a new problem - not nearly as severe. A different disparity, this time indeed having to do with L and R channels:

While I record from the Sennheiser 416 into the Sony M10 pcm, the levels are a little odd. The L channel seems to be picking up WAY more sound than the right. And when I examine the file in Audacity, the R channel wave looks substantially thinner than the L wave.

When we import them into AVID, though, the Audio Tool shows the two channels equal. They read at the level at which the L channel appeared to record on the M10's meter.

But in the MIXER, the levels show the L/R disparity -- not quite as pronounced as it read on the M10 or in Audacity, but a marked disparity nonetheless.

The sound is usable, and excellent, and since the Audio Tool reading is the one we've been having to manipulate, and it shows L/R channels equal, we're good to go.

BUT - why are the readings different on different devices? And on different meters in the same AVID session?

Still mystified.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 15, 2015 at 12:33:44 pm

Good to hear, and thanks for the follow up. At least the other method will rectify your existing recordings. As far as meter reading? I don't know what to say there other than meter reading quality can differ between devices based on quality, sensitivity, etc. designed into them.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]