FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relink DNxHD 36 to Original Media

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Masciari
Relink DNxHD 36 to Original Media
on Jul 1, 2015 at 9:16:01 pm

Hi all,

I hope this isn't too complicated an issue. For a recent Avid project, I imported the original media into a bin as DNxHD 36 footage so that I could edit at a lower resolution, and now that I am picture locked, I want to relink this footage to the original, high res media. Is there a way to do this, as I did not use AMA link?

I had exported a ProRes version of the DNxHD sequence, but there is a significant amount of grain. If I missed the step of AMA linking, is there a way to achieve the relinking goal via AAF or some other way?

If you need more information about my situation, I can provide that.

Very best,
Daniel

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Relink DNxHD 36 to Original Media
on Jul 2, 2015 at 12:53:30 am

I would AMA link your camera orignals, highlight all the clips and the seqence, right click the sequence then relink, and select "relink to selected". You may need to tweak other settings in the relink dialog box, but that is how you will do it.

Michael

Return to posts index

Daniel Masciari
on Jul 2, 2015 at 1:59:15 am

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the tip - I tried tweaking some of the specifications in the relink box, but I'm running into some problems. I think it should be noted that I renamed the clip names in Avid before editing, so do you think that could be causing some problems? Here is a screenshot of my workflow (the top left is the bin for my selected sequence, the middle is the bin with all of the selected AMA linked media, and the right is the relink box:

https://images.creativecow.net/245944/screenshot2015-07-01at9.55.22pm.png

Thanks again,
Daniel

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jul 2, 2015 at 8:10:11 am

Renaming clips in Avid has no negative impact. Clip names are user information fields.
The simple fix is to batch import the sequence. Make sure to tick the bottom tick box to use current settings and then set the settings to the resolution you want.
It will be slower and have to bring in all the sources used not just parts of them. This is why importing is such a legacy process. AMAing the sources at the start was the way to go. Relinking may work or you may just spend days going in circles.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 2, 2015 at 12:16:44 pm

Batch importing a sequence will not work, but batch importing into the master clips that made up the sequence will. And make sure none of the clips have been consolidated as an import will always retime an import to fit the clip duration. Legacy import does not work well for these scenarios as Pat says as it does not observe the START and END timecodes of the clip being imported into.

So you can always put the sequence into its own bin, from the "set display" selection from the bin menu display check "show reference clips". This will now show all the clips used in your sequence. Sort by clip type and move master clips to another new bin. From that bin, select all clips and do a batch import. If the clips have not moved since their initial import, the paths may still be valid. If not, you need to match them up. It should find all the clips from a given folder. Then, follow Pat's guidance for resolution setting.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 2, 2015 at 12:18:23 pm

In the screenshot you posted, I would need to see the column "Source File" in order to advise on proper relink settings. For example, one may have .mov and the other not, so I would check the "ignore extension".

Michael

Return to posts index

Daniel Masciari
on Jul 2, 2015 at 4:57:25 pm

Thanks so much guys, I think I'm almost there. I really appreciate the support. One question, once I've batch imported all of the master clips, do I need to manually edit in the high res media? Is there a way for a new sequence to be created once batch-imported?

Daniel

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 2, 2015 at 8:17:23 pm

If you had selected the original master clips from the sequence, and batch imported those, then you wouldn't have to re-edit anything as the sequence would just link automatically.

Michael

Return to posts index

Daniel Masciari
on Jul 2, 2015 at 8:32:05 pm

Hey Michael,

Yes it worked! Thanks for all of your help (and Patrick, thanks for your help as well!) Super :)

Have a good day.

Very best,
Daniel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]