FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony A7s XAVC-s 50/100 fps

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blaine Sweeney
Sony A7s XAVC-s 50/100 fps
on Jul 1, 2015 at 3:47:21 pm

Hi there,

I have footage shot on Sony A7s in 50 and 100 frames per second, in the XAVC-s codec. Avid doesn't support XAVC-s so I cannot ingest the footage into it - AMA link or import. I have had a look at Media Encoder but I cannot transcode the higher frame rates like 100 and 50, it will transcode dnxhd120 to 25fps only. I'm getting very frustrated and contemplating going back to Sony Vegas for this project. Anybody have any ideas to get A7s footage working in avid in frame rates 25, 50 and 100??

An editor I work with said that I need to put high frame rate footage onto a sequence, change the playback speed and then transcode the sequence to be able to work with slow motion stuff. I don't mind having to do that but I can't get the XAVC to work in Avid for a start, and any stuff I try to transcode in ME is converted to 25 fps so that won't work when I stretch it out. I have tried the dnxhd mxc op1a rewrap in ME but the transcode fails.

Any help much appreciated, I'd rather not have to go back to Vegas as it means setting up Windows on my mac - THAT I don't have the patience or time for.

I'm using a MacBook Pro late 2013, Yosemite 10.10.3, Media Composer 7.0.4, Newest trail version on Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Sony A7s XAVC-s 50/100 fps
on Jul 1, 2015 at 7:08:29 pm

You can consider:

1. Using EditReady to make a .mov with a different codec such as ProRes. AMA link to that. If in 8.3, you can go to source settings on that clip(s) and set it to project rate rather than clip rate creating a frame for frame slomo.

2. Drastic Technologies makes an AMA plug-in that supports XAVC-S and a single codec plug-in will run you $99

3. Create a new clip with Avid Resolve setting timing to playback rate before creating new clip.

XAVC-S has been a point of frustration for a while now with MC owners... and users end up between the cracks with Avid pointing to the camera manufacturer to support, while the manufacturer decides what it wants to support or not. Meanwhile, other NLE's just support it.

Michael

Return to posts index

Blaine Sweeney
on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:37:09 pm

Great, thank you for your swift reply Micheal!

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:40:44 pm

I would like to test the Resolve to MC workflow with XAVC-S if you want to upload 2 or 3 clips somewhere and send me a link.

Hang in there,
Robert

Robert A. Ober
IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelancer
http://www.infohou.com
Houston, TX

Return to posts index

Blaine Sweeney
on Jul 10, 2015 at 11:19:00 am

Hi Robert, thank you very much. I won't be able to upload anything till Monday as the Internet speed that I have at the moment is terrible. I have WeTransfer plus so I can send up to 10gb, I'll post the download link here on Monday.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jul 10, 2015 at 4:45:59 pm

[Blaine Sweeney] "Hi Robert, thank you very much. I won't be able to upload anything till Monday as the Internet speed that I have at the moment is terrible. I have WeTransfer plus so I can send up to 10gb, I'll post the download link here on Monday."

Cool,

I am going to be doing a live stream of a multi day event next week so I can't guarantee I will get to it until the week after but I am curious.

Take it EZ,
Robert

Return to posts index

Blaine Sweeney
on Jul 13, 2015 at 11:27:18 am

Hi Robert, that's absolutely fine, this sin't an urgent edit for me anyway. Here's the download link > http://we.tl/8Qrb7ZkvcJ . Hope it works! Enjoy your shoot!

Return to posts index

David OShea
on Aug 13, 2015 at 10:36:18 pm

Hi Blaine.

Hope you got the issue sorted. I have a question for you if you don't mind. I love the look of the footage you posted. What's the lens? Is it auto focusing or are those that manual pulls?

Thanks
David

Return to posts index

Blaine Sweeney
on Aug 14, 2015 at 9:32:08 am

Hi David, unfortunately not, other projects needed attention. Thank you very much, the lens (as far as a i can remember as it was a while ago) was the Canon 70-200 f2.8 mark2 mounted to the a7s using the metabones adapter - gorgeous lens. Everything was manual focus.

Return to posts index

David OShea
on Aug 14, 2015 at 9:50:46 am

Yep, I have that lens myself. It's a beaut alright. Though on a 5dMkIII. I didn't know high speed 720p would look so clear and usable on the A7s. I might finally make the switch.

Return to posts index

Blaine Sweeney
on Aug 14, 2015 at 1:56:34 pm

I'd recommend that you make the switch, I use a 6D as well and the A7s blows it away. For run and gun shooting it is great in that you can switch between crop and full frame mode so you can have two different focal lengths, but added to that, if you're shooting in just 1080, you can digitally crop in 2x while shooting as the A7s has a 4k sensor. So you can use a 35mm prime in full frame, knock it into crop mode and you have a 50mm, and if needed crop in 2x and you have a 100mm, combine it with your 70-200 and you've got a serious focal range for a days shooting, the 2x still looks good too! This is something i just stumbled across as it isn't advertised or talked about very much - but it is really handy sometimes. But beware, it is not as user friendly as the mark3 - a bit fiddly, shit screen, and its size is uncomfortable to hold, therefore a half-cage to make the handle bigger and an external screen is something i would suggest. Essay over haha!

Return to posts index

David OShea
on Aug 14, 2015 at 2:28:28 pm

Ha... No good read. I'm shooting stills at a wedding today in Clontarf Castle. So, no doubt I'll be keeping the 5DmkIII. I nearly dropped the bomb on an A7s, a Commlite adapter and Came-tv single this morning before leaving. Guess I'll mull over it on the weekend.

BTW, what version metabones adapter are u using? Any problems with it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]