FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ripping commercial DVDs

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam kurnitz
Ripping commercial DVDs
on Jun 23, 2015 at 2:25:57 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this. If it's not, I apologize.

I am cutting a documentary and we are at the phase where we are replacing temp archival with hi-res masters. A few of my masters are on commercial DVDs and I need a way to rip them and maintain the quality of picture.
I've tried Handbrake but I'm getting a very pixelated image.
Can someone please provide a solution to this problem?

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Ripping commercial DVDs
on Jun 23, 2015 at 2:52:21 pm

Are you working in SD or HD? DVDs are SD. If you need Blu-Ray they are HD. You would need to circumvent the digital copy protection and then rip with MpegStream clip to get a ProRes/DNxHD or other flavor of file you need to work with if it is DVD. Blu-Ray is a whole other work flow.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

adam kurnitz
on Jun 23, 2015 at 3:18:44 pm

Thanks Warren,

Any idea how to circumvent the copy protection?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 23, 2015 at 4:36:01 pm

If you are using a Mac you can use MacTheRipper to create a DRM-free version on your hard drive and then use MPEG Streamclip to open up the file and convert it to whatever codec you want.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 23, 2015 at 6:26:07 pm

Getting DVDs is not getting a MASTER. DVDs aren't masters. BUT...whatever, you get what you get. Still...WHO'S telling you those are the masters? WHO are you licensing the footage from? If it's a WB movie, or Paramount...I would not think they would say "just buy the DVD and use that." I've worked on many docs where we license the movies and the studio provided either digibetas (when we cut SD) or HDCAM masters.

BUT...I digress.

You need to have VLC player installed in order to circumvent DRM, I believe.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 23, 2015 at 6:34:49 pm

[Shane Ross] "I've worked on many docs where we license the movies and the studio provided either digibetas (when we cut SD) or HDCAM masters.
"

Funny story... I used to work at a place that did radio and TV spots for bands (big acts on national and world tours) and the band's management would routinely send us concert DVDs to use as source footage. This was in the pre-ripping days so we would record the DVD to BetaSP with a TBC in between to counteract the MacroVision. We got Betas of music videos and EPKs too but there were a lot of DVDs being used as source material.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 24, 2015 at 8:05:00 am

In most countries its an offence to "rip" DVD or bluray content and the license that is used during replication of DVD & Bluray masters even prohibits the copyright owners from breaching the copy protection.
So as a facility or a business if you go that root you have to be aware that nobody can grant authority to rip a DVD or bluray. You will be committing an offence.

As others have said the massive data compression used also makes DVDs very poor as sources for finished content which will suffer even more when it's compressed again later.
Always go back to a proper master.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

adam kurnitz
on Jun 24, 2015 at 1:06:51 pm

Hey All,

Thanks so much for all of the info. In light of all of what you've said we've decided to get in touch with the owner of the footage and license it.
I guess we just dodged a bullet.
Thanks so much again.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 24, 2015 at 5:41:09 pm

[adam kurnitz] "Thanks so much for all of the info. In light of all of what you've said we've decided to get in touch with the owner of the footage and license it."

Of course you should license the footage.

What others have brought up w/regards to ripping DVDs is a different animal entirely. The right to use the footage and the right to copy the footage from a DVD are two separate things. In many countries it is illegal to break/circumvent the copy protection on DVDs so even if you have the proper permission from the footage owner to use the footage you might not have the legal standing to copy the footage from the DVD (assuming the DVD is copy protected). In the US there is currently an exemption for documentary film makers, granted by the US Copyright Office, that makes it okay to circumvent the copyright protection on DVDs so you can rip them (normally circumventing copyright protection would be a violation a law called the DMCA).

So, in short, if you want to use footage from a DVD you first need the permission from the legal owner of that footage and next you need to live in a place where it is legal to break/circumvent DVD copyright protection (assuming the DVD has copyright protection on it).

Like with anything involving the law though you should always consult with a qualified lawyer before taking action.

Return to posts index

Steve Hodges
on Jun 24, 2015 at 1:40:41 am

You can try Digiber software http://www.digiber.com it does ripping and converting all in one place.

I have ever used it to rip some of my disc collections, happy with the results.

Note, in many country, circumventing the copy protection is illegal.YOU have to know this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]