FORUMS: list search recent posts

Repeated frames in edited CineFrame 24 footage

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Worden
Repeated frames in edited CineFrame 24 footage
on Jun 23, 2015 at 4:57:11 am

I'm trying to fix a dropped frame issue in the final edit of a documentary shot on a Sony Z1U in CineFrame 24 and edited in Avid Media Composer. Every 5th frame is a repeat of the frame before it. Any ideas on possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: Repeated frames in edited CineFrame 24 footage
on Jun 23, 2015 at 7:29:26 pm

I'm in Pal land, where we mostly just deal with 25 frames a second

Are your project settings 24p?

Is there a motion adapter on each clip?

Is the audio in sync with the stuttering pictures?

Is the pull down definitely not visible on the raw camera files?

AEscripts have a duplicate frame remover script for After Effects but that's take a long time to process and you would have to speed up the audio to compensate

Good luck with that

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 23, 2015 at 7:32:10 pm

Are you in a 29.97 project and timeline? I know that older Sony's didn't do 24p properly...didn't have it in an interlaced 29.97 file, with pulldown added. Some had settings that shot 24p in a 29.97p stream...thus causing the repeated frames.

That's burned into the file..

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 24, 2015 at 5:46:29 pm

[Shane Ross] "Are you in a 29.97 project and timeline? I know that older Sony's didn't do 24p properly...didn't have it in an interlaced 29.97 file, with pulldown added. Some had settings that shot 24p in a 29.97p stream...thus causing the repeated frames."

Yeah, the CF modes on the early Sony HDV cameras were an attempt to mimic the 24p 'look', not actual 24p recording.

For those interested in an in depth explanation Adam Wilt did a nice write up on it years ago.

http://www.adamwilt.com/HDV/cineframe.html

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 24, 2015 at 5:48:17 pm

Thought so. I had a project come to me in online shot like that, and it was a pain. Had to explain to the network that it was how the camera shot the footage, and that they'd have to live with the odd cadence. And said we'd never use that setting again.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]