FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage shot on FS7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lor Porter
Footage shot on FS7
on Jun 17, 2015 at 4:36:58 pm

Hi All -

I am working on a project and was just given footage shot on an FS7. My converter can't "see" the video - and I can't seem to find the right driver to be able to use it. Any suggestions out there?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Footage shot on FS7
on Jun 17, 2015 at 5:03:04 pm

Is it XAVC-S format? If so, Sony has not released an AMA that supports that format, and Avid MC does not support it natively. You can find many threads online about this.

Here is one example:
http://community.avid.com/forums/t/129982.aspx

I do not believe the situation has changed. You can look to third party applications and create Avid ready media such as Resolve and Adobe Media Encoder - perhaps there are others that users may have used as well.

I have not tried this one, but there seems to be free trials for both OS X and Win.
http://www.mxf-file-converter.com/xavc-converter-for-windows-mac/

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 17, 2015 at 5:46:28 pm

EditReady also deals with this...but it'll convert it to Quicktime. Resolve will make MXFs for you...

But I did want to point out another option, one less daunting than Resolve. Although with EditReady, the converted files will have to be the master files...no relinking back to the camera originals...which is something the Resolve convert can do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Jun 17, 2015 at 6:52:39 pm

Thank you Shane,

I'm going to take a look at the links Michael sent too. One of these must work! I appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 17, 2015 at 9:33:32 pm

EditReady is a good one too, but does it actually change the filename when it makes the QT wrapped version? If it keeps it, there is no reason why Resolve or MC via AMA linking would not be able to conform with it. I need to download the trial and give it a shot.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 17, 2015 at 10:13:32 pm

Hmmm...now that I have a small handle on Resolve, and I have some XAVC footage, and EditReady...I might have to test that...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Jun 18, 2015 at 12:31:45 am

EditReady seems to only work on a Mac... I've got a PC... not finding a windows version...

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Jun 17, 2015 at 6:51:43 pm

Thanks Michael,

I will take a look and try them out. I appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 18, 2015 at 1:31:41 am

This one I listed has a Win version:
http://www.mxf-file-converter.com/xavc-converter-for-windows-mac/

Have not tried it myself as I just use Resolve to "resolve" my non Avid supported format issues. :)

Michael

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Jun 18, 2015 at 10:42:01 am

Yes Michael, I saw that... loads fine but still doesn't "see" the things in that folder.

I went back and the "footage" in that folder is listed as XML Document - is that even video footage?? All I have to go on is that the top of the folder says FS7 - I'm taking it as - "this was shot with an FS7" - because I've got some other pieces that are called EX3 (and the video from that camera is in there).

Thoughts? Are XML document files video??

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jun 18, 2015 at 11:54:28 am

XML files are metadata files, they're not video files.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 18, 2015 at 12:36:11 pm

Different cameras (even from the same manufacture) will have different folder structures that contain the media (essence) and the metadata (XML, embedded, etc.). For example, in a DCP for theater, it is a folder with a master XML file and other folders that carry different parts of the delivery of which one is picture, sound, encryption keys, etc.

Sony, Panasonic and other camera manufactures have the same thing going. The XML describes what is in the folder. You can open those up with a text editor if you want to read them. but do not change them! They may contain additional info such as Markers, from camera or part of the Sony Catalyst Prepare software.

All you're concerned with is the media (essence) which will be in one of those folder and well end in .mxf. Usually the clip folder, stream folder, depending on which camera did the recording. In some cases, for cameras that shoot both a high rez (4K) and a proxy (1080 mp4) can be found. And in those cases, the XML describes that as well.

Some software applications can see straight through the hierarchy folder structure to find the media, and in others you have to dig for it. If you want, we can do a screenshare and I can walk you through a Resolve workflow if interested.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 18, 2015 at 1:05:23 pm

Also, when you get info on the FS7 folders. how big is it? An XML file is only bytes in size.

Michael

Return to posts index

Claudia Samaha
FS7 metadata
on Jun 1, 2016 at 10:11:39 am

Hello,

Is there a way to save metadata on Sony FS7 and see which focal, diaph etc have been used during the shooting ?

Thanks

Claudia

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: FS7 metadata
on Jun 1, 2016 at 12:23:36 pm

Have you tried any of the Sony Browser tools?

Michael

Return to posts index

Claudia Samaha
on Jun 1, 2016 at 1:04:55 pm

Not yet, but I would like to know if there is a setting or something to activate directly on the camera ?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 2, 2016 at 7:16:10 pm

I looked at a set of XML files from a clip recorded on the FS7, and while I did see a lot of location data recorded, I did not see any lens metadata. I did a quick search of the user manual, and nothing was obvious there to enable if available.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]