FORUMS: list search recent posts

Non destructive volume adjustment / fades

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Audrey Coeckelberghs
Non destructive volume adjustment / fades
on Jun 12, 2015 at 10:46:26 pm

Hi,

I just started editing for a tv show and the mixer told me I had to beware of destructive audio level adjustment.
He told me that some of the sound clips he got from my last aaf export were ajusted in a way that didn't allow him to change the levels i had done.
Apparently there are 2 ways of making level ajustements, one is destructive and the other isn't. But he couldn't tell me which.

I guess it's about fading using keyframes or quicktransition but I don't know which one is ok.

Maybe it's a problem with export settings?

I'm a bit surprised, never had that problem before. I don't work ver often with Avid, though, so I might have missed something important.

Can someone help? Thanks !

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Non destructive volume adjustment / fades
on Jun 13, 2015 at 2:19:31 pm

The only destructive volume adjustments in Media Composer come from doing an Audio Mixdown, which "bakes in" every level adjustment you made.

everything else can be adjusted or disregarded in a DAW like ProTools. I think your guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Return to posts index

Audrey Coeckelberghs
on Jun 13, 2015 at 3:03:37 pm

Thanks for your answer. That's reassuring, I thought so as well but wasn't positive.
Weird thing is he told me he got the explanation from the head director of the show, who's actually quite an experienced Avid editor himself.
I'll have to check with him but he's not often around and meanwhile I need to go on.

I was thinking it might be because we have to relink the audio to the original sound and then transcode everything before exporting the aaf but when I check the exported timeline, all my transitions and keyframes are still there.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 14, 2015 at 2:21:57 am

I think there may be some settings in the aaf export that could cause an issue. Something tells me there is a "mixdown audio effects" or something like that. I know you can render your audio as part of the aaf creation, but I wouldn't think that would do anything bad...but then again, I never use that option.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]