FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ingest gives WHITE Video

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lor Porter
Ingest gives WHITE Video
on Jun 12, 2015 at 1:18:53 pm

Hi - Ingesting mov. files and they are all WHITE. I don't know what's happening... or what is wonky... any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!
Lori

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Ingest gives WHITE Video
on Jun 12, 2015 at 1:22:32 pm

It usually means you don't have the codec installed on your system. Can you view these files in Quicktime?

Open the file in Quicktime and hit Cmd+i on a Mac or Ctrl+i on a PC to pull up the information box and it should tell you what the codec is.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Jun 12, 2015 at 1:33:42 pm

Thanks Michael - here's what I get
XDCAM EX - that's what it was recorded on. Tried to take a screen shot for you - but can't seem to past it here...

I'll go look for that driver? I can see the video if I take it into my video converter...

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jun 12, 2015 at 1:48:25 pm

I'm going to guess that you're on a PC? If you are, you'll need to buy a decoder. I used Calibrated XD Decode when I had a PC and it worked. You can download a demo to see if it works, and if it does buy it and import into Avid (or better yet, AMA and consolidate/transcode).

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/Products/XDDecodeV2/QXD.php

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Jun 12, 2015 at 2:07:04 pm

Yes, I'm on a PC... I've used video from this videographer a ton of times before - with no issue... I'm going to try the SxS driver first... (that's what seem to have worked in the past) - there may be a new one...

And this may be a dumb question... but when you say - import it into Avid... do you mean more than just installing it on the computer I work on? Sorry - just this end of everything makes me unsure.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jun 12, 2015 at 2:14:58 pm

[Lor Porter] "Yes, I'm on a PC... I've used video from this videographer a ton of times before - with no issue... I'm going to try the SxS driver first... (that's what seem to have worked in the past) - there may be a new one... "

Hopefully the SXS driver will work for you and same you the expense of the Calibrated decoder. But does this videography normally supply you with XDCam Quicktime files? Why not the raw XDCam card structure? Then you could avoid all this mess and just AMA link directly to the footage.

[Lor Porter] "And this may be a dumb question... but when you say - import it into Avid... do you mean more than just installing it on the computer I work on? Sorry - just this end of everything makes me unsure."

I mean import your footage. If you import your footage via File-->Import you're using old code and the import is slow. If you AMA Link to the Quicktime files then Consolidate/Transcode them you'll be using new code that magnitudes faster than the old import method. Once you install the Calibrated decoder you don't need to do anything else to Avid. Just start it up and it should see the decoder and read the footage (aka - no more white screen).

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Jun 12, 2015 at 2:33:43 pm

{Hopefully the SXS driver will work for you and same you the expense of the Calibrated decoder. But does this videography normally supply you with XDCam Quicktime files? Why not the raw XDCam card structure? Then you could avoid all this mess and just AMA link directly to the footage.}

The driver didn't work. And so, I'm trying one last thing... before I purchase the Calibrated decoder...

The producer I'm working for - gets these files on a drive from the videographer. I don't get the cards or a card reader. She downloads them off the cards usually onto a drive for the producer to take.

{I mean import your footage. If you import your footage via File-->Import you're using old code and the import is slow. If you AMA Link to the Quicktime files then Consolidate/Transcode them you'll be using new code that magnitudes faster than the old import method. Once you install the Calibrated decoder you don't need to do anything else to Avid. Just start it up and it should see the decoder and read the footage (aka - no more white screen).}

Thanks!! YES - I'm doing it the old way - because I usually can't do the AMA. Looks like I'm just going to install the calibrated decoder (this is the one I'm getting - http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/store/item_view.php?id=1000038&SizeID=0&C... - and should be on my way.

I'll let you know if it all works.

Thanks again for your help! You'll never know how much I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jun 12, 2015 at 2:48:03 pm

Make sure you install the trial of the Calibrated software and test it before you buy it. I'd hate to see you buy it and have it not work!

Good luck with it!

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Jun 12, 2015 at 2:52:21 pm

I just did the "trial" - I don't see the watermark though. But yes - it AMA linked perfectly!

I'm going to go purchase it... One other question.

Now - in my AMA bin... everything is highlighted Yellow. That footage is only looking to where the video is on the drive hooked up. How do I ingest it fully into the timeline? Sorry - again... haven't used this all that often!

Lori

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jun 12, 2015 at 3:14:33 pm

Two options:

1. You can edit with the AMA footage. But I don't recommend this because it's still not that rock solid and I've had sequences get weird when I try to edit with too much AMA footage.

2. Consolidate/Transcode. Select the clips in your bin. Go to Clip-->Consolidate/Transcode. From there you choose the drive for the files to go to, and whether you consolidate or transcode them.
You may not be able to consolidate them given they're XDCam Quicktime files. But I'd try that first, because all that basically does is wrap the files as Avid MXF files and copies them into the Avid MediaFIles folder structure so Avid can track them.
If you can't consolidate, then Transcode them. Pick the resolution you want (you can pick XDCam), select your media drive, and hit Transcode. If you're on the most recent version of Avid you can transcode in the background. Otherwise, wait while it does its thing and you'll have all new clips in your bin when it's done that you can edit with. I like to make a new bin to put transcoded files in, and I rename the original bin with AMA in the title so I know the footage in that bin is AMA linked.

Regarding the watermark issue - if the watermark isn't there, and it doesn't limit you to only using 30 seconds of the footage, I'd say you won the Calibrated lottery! Unless they made their software free at some point. Otherwise, it sounds like it glitched in your favor. You can always email them to ask about it.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Jun 12, 2015 at 3:24:13 pm

Thanks so much! I figured out the transcode thing... but thank you for answering - I didn't hit the correct resolution - so I'll redo it.

I freaked out a little doing the transcode and just went and ordered the calibrated software. I didn't want it to bite me in the butt later! So, I stopped the transcode - figuring I'd have to redo it again with the "real" footage.

Thank you again so much for all your help. Software still isn't in my email... so off to make some other client videos!

Best,
Lori

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Jun 12, 2015 at 2:55:22 pm

One more thing... really not sure what to make of it - but there isn't the watermark like I mentioned... and I've got all the footage - not the 30 seconds it stated for demo mode. Baffled - I didn't purchase the software yet.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 12, 2015 at 7:06:50 pm

What happens if you transcode or consolidate the clips? DO you see a time limitation or watermark then?

Michael

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Jun 12, 2015 at 7:18:34 pm

Nope - no issue.

However... I just ingested a bunch of things from another drive... no AMA link... but now the watermark is over everything... so, I'm purchasing the decoder!

Thanks!
Lori

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]