FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deseperatly searching the Avid MC 4.0.5 update for win XP

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frédéric Legay
Deseperatly searching the Avid MC 4.0.5 update for win XP
on Jun 10, 2015 at 7:42:08 pm

Hi folks, I've recently reinstalled an old version of a Avid MC 4 (a license legally purchased), with an Avid guy who helped me to desinstal it for a new installation, BUT (there is a BUT) as you know, there is no way to get the 4.0.5 update on the Avid site. I've spent 30 min on the phone with an (other) Avid guy who told me that this update (and many others) is non longer available through the Avid site.
So, my question is simple : are there any people here who kept the 4.0.5 update file somewhere on an old folder ?
Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Deseperatly searching the Avid MC 4.0.5 update for win XP
on Jun 10, 2015 at 8:43:47 pm

I remember there being an email blast about older versions no longer being available for download. I always thought that was strange for all the storage Avid sells, uses, and such that a complete library of installers couldn't be maintained. You would have to think there would be one somewhere at Avid...

But I don't have one - hit up all the social forums and see what you can find. Even eBay.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 11, 2015 at 12:17:44 pm

Avid had to remove the older installers as they used code that Avid no longer had a license to distribute.
I imagine Avid had the option to negotiate a new license and incur a fee we'd all end up subsidising.
Or re-write all the old installers to use a different set of code again at a cost to all current users.
Or work on the assumption that folks will have maintained their own local copies of installers they need. Plus give notice to download them while they still existed.

Avid sensibly chose the latter option. So notice was given and the old installers removed to comply with the license restriction.

I only have live on my system back to V5 but I have older versions on backup if you are really stuck.

needless to say all Pro users should maintain local copies of all intsallers they need. It's a no brainer not to.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Frédéric Legay
on Jun 11, 2015 at 2:44:05 pm

Hi Pat, and thanks for your reply.
Yeah, i've heard about the java issue with all the old Avid installers.
Anyway, you're the first to give me such a reply, so, as you say, i'm stuck, so if you can send me this file, I promise i will record it on a precious backup… ;-)
Thanks again, cheers…

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 14, 2015 at 2:27:44 am

I believe the comment from avid was that the old downloaders are no longer going to be on the website, but I think it does say somewhere in the download maze that you can contact support for older versions.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Frédéric Legay
Re: Deseperatly searching the Avid MC 4.0.5 update for win XPse
on Jun 14, 2015 at 5:53:28 am

Well, it seems you didn't correctly read my original message. I've spent a long moment with the Avid hotline on the phone.
The most funny in this case is the guy from Avid telling me to try & find it on a forum...

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jun 14, 2015 at 10:45:58 am

I have a backup of the MC4.0.5 Win installer. To what address can I send the link?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 14, 2015 at 11:49:36 am

Interesting...I just checked their site.

Avid has implemented an Open Source Java alternative in our products moving forward to ensure an optimal user experience at the lowest cost possible for our customers. Software installers for recent software releases have been updated with Open Source Java and made available on the Download Center. You can continue to install and use your older Avid software versions; your licenses and entitlements will not change.

For more information, please consult this Knowledgebase Article.

If you need access to any older versions of software that are no longer available, please contact Customer Support.

I guess that last line is just for show.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 14, 2015 at 1:48:51 pm

It seems Job has it, but also, when all else fails when dealing with support, send Marianna an email T:
marianna.montague@avid.com

She may be able to cut through whatever issues might be in the way.

Michael

Return to posts index

Frédéric Legay
on Jun 14, 2015 at 3:35:18 pm

Gee, thanks a lot ! If you can send it at :
legay.frederic@free.fr
it would be great ! !
Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved