FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Mac should I get for a long-feature documentary? (non 4k)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
André Mascarenhas
Which Mac should I get for a long-feature documentary? (non 4k)
on Jun 10, 2015 at 2:42:26 am

Hi there,

It's my first post at this forum and I've recently started using MC, coming mostly from Premiere.

I got this amazing project to edit, a feature-documentary, and the producer asked me what Mac I'd like to have. I'd like to have your suggestion in what configurations it should be.

There is about 4GB of footage (not yet transcoded to DNxHD) - from 5DmkIII, C100 and C300.

I've been willing to get a mid-point computer (6-Core Mac Pro (late 2013), 32gb ram, D500 graphics and 256 ssd), since my main concern is that the sequences would be pretty long and I don't want for rendering to take to long too. As I said, I'm transitioning now to MC and don't know its moods so well.

I gave that as an option to the producer, but she asked me if the 4-core wouldn't be enough (cheaper).

External hard drive it's not sure yet, but should either be an G-Drive Thunderbolt 2 raid or a OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2.

Thanks a lot, ANY help will be quite welcomed!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Which Mac should I get for a long-feature documentary? (non 4k)
on Jun 10, 2015 at 3:59:53 pm

If you're doing an offline proxy transcode for editorial and a relink to camera originals for finish, then the specs you list will be fine. Also, was there a typo? 4GGB of footage is not a lot... That's about 30 minutes of Canon DSLR (h.264).

Michael

Return to posts index

André Mascarenhas
on Jun 10, 2015 at 4:04:53 pm

Thanks, Michael.
Definitely a typo! 4TB - besides archive footage and photos.

The 4-core would handle nicely as well or should I just go with the 6-core if I want stability?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 10, 2015 at 4:41:08 pm

I would go for more RAM than cores in this particular case, but I always go for as much on each to the limits of my budget.

Michael

Return to posts index

André Mascarenhas
on Jun 10, 2015 at 5:04:49 pm

That's a great advice. I'm thinking of going with 32GB ram to start - upgrading to 64 if needed since it is not that expensive either. Thanks, hopefully the producer will understand and spend a fair amount that will give the project a deserved power - anyways for what I can see, I'll be good.
Thanks again, Michael!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]