FORUMS: list search recent posts

Different duration between sequences

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zerweck
Different duration between sequences
on May 30, 2015 at 3:29:10 am

I have discovered something odd and its currently driving me mad.

I make duplicates of sequences for each day, I do work on the audio so I leave the video tracks locked. However, today I noticed that clips are different durations when marked at their start and end. However, the starting and end source timecode is the same length, but when I mark in and out on both sequences, it said there's maybe 3 frames difference. I even counted the frames step by step to confirm they are the same, but the duration at the top says their different. Am I going crazy?

AVID: 8.3.1
Mac

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Different duration between sequences
on May 30, 2015 at 4:11:40 am

Is this a NDF sequence, but you are viewing DF code for timing purposes? Because while you may be using DF code, when you mark I and O, it'll only show you NDF times, if using an NDF timeline.

This happens to me when editing 23.98 but using 29.97 DF code to ensure proper timing

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zerweck
on May 30, 2015 at 4:38:37 am

Hi Shane,

How do I check if its DF versus NDF? Also, what is the difference?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 30, 2015 at 5:40:00 am

Read this about Timecode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_timecode

Non-Drop frame, bascially is one number per frame. But it isn't time accurate as it drifts over time...because video doesn't run at 30fps or 24fps straight...it runs slightly slower (29.97 and 23.98)
Drop Frame basically is timecode where certain numbers are dropped. Two frames are dropped every minute, except every 10th minute. This is to ensure proper timing...actual time.

23.98 footage is non-drop frame only...so to get proper timing, you can change the timecode readout in the Program monitor to drop frame.

The center duration is still NDF, but the timing is DF.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 30, 2015 at 8:58:47 pm

Maybe there's a bug here, because center duration is supposed to inherit timecode type and count from top TC register above the record monitor. In your example, the 30fps DF.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]