FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding interlaced to progressive

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Hensen
Transcoding interlaced to progressive
on May 28, 2015 at 10:55:44 pm

Ahh one of the old tried and true topics of discussion.

Long story short: Engineer hit "i" instead of "p" in the studio. I now have 3 shows worth of interlaced footage. Same fps (thank god!) so all we have is the fields to worry about.

We have been working in progressive and delivering in progressive for the first half of our show's season, and this last shoot was for the remainder of the arc. Delivering in "i" is out.

What would you suggest?

1. ingesting the interlaced material as native and incorporating into our progressive projects - deinterlacing where necessary.

OR

2. Batching everything progressive out of the gate (if so what tool? do I need to go hardware?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Transcoding interlaced to progressive
on May 29, 2015 at 12:40:46 pm

In both cases, "quality" of the conversion will be the main question. Avid MC can certainly transcode from I to P but does not do much with motion compensation and such. You can select different interpretations from the motion effect editor from just dropping a field but cuts your resolution in half to different blending modes. If you just edit with the i footage, you can deal with those shots on the timeline with the motion effect editor or using a plug-in that might provide better results such as Twixtor.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]