FORUMS: list search recent posts

Major playback latency with IOxt on Shared Storage (ISIS and SAN Fusion)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pieter Viljoen
Major playback latency with IOxt on Shared Storage (ISIS and SAN Fusion)
on May 26, 2015 at 7:42:03 pm

Been having issues with playback latency in Avid 8.2 AND Avid 8.3 on 10.9.5 with latest AJA drivers.

When we have a lot of comps (from 5-20 layers on a single shot,) then I get it. However, we have a lot of multicam and it really sticks a lot when we try to playback using spacebar.

I feel like a lot of this didn't exist in version 7 on earlier versions of Mavericks. These upgrades are beyond our control. Dailies are usually DNx115. Mac trash cans, pretty much upgraded to the max. Noticing this on an ISIS as well as a proprietary SAN that is lightning fast. This is definitely a software issue, it seems to be there when I try it on local storage too. I seem to recall being able to use multicammed clips with wave forms much easier on avid 7, both local and on shared storage.

Anyone else notice this crazy lag in the latest versions of Avid?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Major playback latency with IOxt on Shared Storage (ISIS and SAN Fusion)
on May 26, 2015 at 8:58:55 pm

WELL, the only thing similar between us is the IoXT. I'm running Avid MC 8.3.1 on Mavericks 10.9.5...on a 2012 MacBook Pro. Local storage, via firewire 800. C300 footage being cut native XDCAM 422...and I get no lag.

But I'm not running latest OS...not on ISIS, not on NAS...but on an older computer...laptop no less.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on May 26, 2015 at 9:02:41 pm

Yeah this is what's odd. We've been on some pretty high powered systems, we're currently off site but it's like a fully tricked out iMac. Isn't as fast as the trash can back in LA, but I can't think of any logical reason why I'm seeing the little red bars in places even if there aren't any effects. Even playback on half res is a problem. I expect weird playback on effects heavy shots when we've got like 30 plates with animates and spectramattes stacked with all sorts of timewarps and resizes but these are straight cuts, from long multicam clips with 6-7 channels of audio.

We trashed MC State, next idea is maybe the settings are corrupt since they were probably built in v6?

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on May 28, 2015 at 3:13:12 pm

It's definitely software. I'm running 10.8.5, and I experience the same issues. Mine show up this way: hit play, and video stutters to catch up, eventually hitting full speed, but then stuttering again, with red bars showing up all over the timeline, even on single track no effects. Didn't happen at all like this until MC8. I've been going back and forth with Avid support, but their suggestions are all broad and non-specific, so it seems they suspect it's my systems that are having the issue. However I have 14 systems, and they're all having it at random times. The latest suggestion I have from them is to completely reformat a system, which I've not been able to do (due to having to do the work). I am not optimistic that this will be fixed any time soon.

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on May 28, 2015 at 3:31:50 pm

That's exactly what we saw. The most stable setup I've seen is Mavericks on v7, or 6.5.4.2

No AJA playback issues. I'm sure we'll get there again on the next builds. I just hate all these upgrades. No real performance gains, more problems.

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on May 28, 2015 at 2:46:53 pm

So we tried it on a 10.9.5 laptop with v 7.04 and it worked perfectly. So we swapped out the CPU for a 10.9.5 on 8.1 and it worked. The AJA didn't like Yosemeti, which I think was the only odd thing out since we ruled out every other variable (storage, project being shared vs local etc...)

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on May 28, 2015 at 3:16:37 pm

So you're saying going back to MC 8.1 on 10.9.5 shows no sluggish behavior? I may have to give that combo a try. I only have used MC 8.3 and 8.3.1 and have had the sluggish playback issue since then. Before that, it was 7.0.3 and no problems.

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on May 28, 2015 at 3:28:38 pm
Last Edited By Pieter Viljoen on May 28, 2015 at 3:34:52 pm

It seems that 8.1 on latest Mavericks (with latest AJA drivers 12.2b) is working at the moment. I want to try this back at home base. It's been really hard since around the Super Bowl when we upgraded. All kinds of playback issues.

EDIT:

To be super specific, avid 8.3.1 on MAC 10.10.3 with AJA 12.2b wasn't working.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 28, 2015 at 5:26:03 pm

Yes, I haven't gone to Yosemite for various reasons...chief among them is Avid support under 10.10.3 isn't there yet. And because my system is solid where it is. Once solid, I leave things alone

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on May 29, 2015 at 2:28:00 pm

My personal laptop and home imac set up have been on 7 for a long time. The imac I don't get to use much but my laptop is on set all the time. Never a problem. Don't see any need to upgrade.

Besides cached waveforms I haven't seen a compelling reason to move beyond 6.5 for offline. Maybe guys onlining out of Avid like all the new 4k workflows etc but I don't do any of that.

Return to posts index

Lucas Marzocchi
on Jun 1, 2015 at 3:37:24 pm

Hi Folks,

We are facing some damn playback issues too.
We are using Media Composer 8.3.1 on Yosemite 10.10.2 and we are connected through Ethernet to a NAS server over the AFP protocol and the server gives me 110 Mbps in Blackmagic speed test. The lags are random.

I've noticed that with polyphonic audios, specially during audio transitions, the lags gets worst.
Isn't audio sample rate and isn't audio bit depth.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the worst timeline that we have.

Not to speak of with using blackmagic video cards, it's impracticable.

Let's keep in touch with any news.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on Jun 1, 2015 at 4:20:04 pm

The on site admin here says that we haven't even come close to taxing the ISIS, so like you, that isn't the issue. Apparently AJA released a new driver on Thursday 12.2.1

Right now our 10.9.5 is working, knock on wood. This is a Yosemeti problem I'm guessing. I think back home we'll stay on Mavericks for quite a while and hold off on all upgrades. Even on Mavericks playback isn't perfect. There's weird flickers and still weird audio bugs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]