FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Grouped, Multi-cam clips with scripts

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
Using Grouped, Multi-cam clips with scripts
on May 22, 2015 at 1:23:31 pm

I love Avid's script syncing capabiliites (I use the manual syncing because of the hefty price tag for scriptSync).

But I'm having trouble trying to sync up a grouped, multi-cam clip to the script.

Does anyone know if that's possible, or does Avid only allow individual clips, rather than grouped clips for the syncing to script?

Thanks much,

Dan

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Using Grouped, Multi-cam clips with scripts
on May 22, 2015 at 2:27:22 pm

You can drag group clips on a script, but I don't think you can use multi-group. I least I remember demo'ing it with group clips years ago so I know it worked. I'll have to check that again to make sure.

As far as price, time is money, so if you have lots of media, it's well worth the price. If you have the time - then manual is the way to go!

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on May 22, 2015 at 2:29:15 pm

It works fine with the grouped clips!
I forgot something dumb, in this case, to highlight the text before dragging the clip onto the script.
D'oh!!

So, my question to you is: What if you don't have time or money??

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 22, 2015 at 2:35:45 pm

If you don't have time or money, you put out one of those Craiglist ads we see too often offering experience, credit, and entry into the exciting world of film and television and have someone come in and manually sync the clips to the script. ;)

I taught an MC and creative editing class a few years back at a community college and one of the students just got hired on a studio film shooting in town as an apprentice and that is what she is doing. Syncing clips to the script. $908/week (union). Now in this case they have ScriptSync, but there's additional work in clips that have pickup, restarts, ad libs and such - seeing as it is a comedy, there's a lot of that.

Michael

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on May 22, 2015 at 5:12:45 pm

Script Sync for free? That's just cruel!

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 22, 2015 at 6:30:57 pm

Script Based Editing has been in the product since 1996 and still is, and is still "free" and continues to work
ScriptSync with phonetic alignment was included in 2007 (free) when released, then became a paid option.
Currently ScriptSync is not available for purchase and existing ScriptSync will not work past 7.x.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on May 22, 2015 at 8:36:38 pm

I was actually just busting your chops a little bit about suggesting a Craigslist for somebody to manually mark scripts for experience alone. Though that's cool, the story of that student getting on that union film doing script sync work. I'd love to see Script marking (Whether manual or via Script Sync) to present a job opportunity to bring back the under-utilized "Apprentice Editor" position.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 23, 2015 at 1:34:29 am

I hear ya! It can be a tedious process and should be a paid position! But for the person who does do it, they are intimately familiar with the footage. :)

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]