FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning DVD's in AVID MC 8

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg Hawks
Burning DVD's in AVID MC 8
on May 15, 2015 at 3:26:12 pm

In previous versions of Avid, Avid DVD by Sonic was a very good tool, it will still work, but not through the old method of sending it to DVD. You must export the movie via QT then add the movie to Avid DVD and let it transcode and burn. This process seems longer than the old way, so I have two questions.
1) Why did Avid go away from this integration with Avid DVD by Sonic? Is there another 3rd party DVD burner Avid is bringing on board?

2) Does anyone know if a QT reference file will work for this or does it have to be actually be a QT file.

I know that was actually 3 questions and the first two are far more important to me.
Thanks in advance to all who take the time to help.
G

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Burning DVD's in AVID MC 8
on May 15, 2015 at 10:06:49 pm

Both good questions for Avid to answer. I always preferred using Adobe Encore for authoring so I am not familiar with Avid DVD by Sonic from a user perspective, but am familiar with it as a product. Sonic was acquired by Rovi in 2010 and as far as I can tell, Avid DVD was never updated or such, just maintained. The Send To function is more a Media Composer feature which one can set up custom versions of if needed, so I am wondering if the preset template got corrupt and no longer works. Have you tried created a new "send to" template and see of that works? I have not made a DVD in 5 years and no longer have authoring available to try myself.

As far as Avid providing another DVD solution, I doubt it very much. It has divested itself from most bundling licenses such as Boris with the 8.x release with either reduced or trial versions. Subscription comes with additional "Lite" versions of Boris and Squeeze, but no longer the full versions as before. Your existing ones will still work. Unless the new 4K DVD spec is a huge hit, I don't believe Avid will provide DVD authoring the same way users need to look for third party apps to create DCP for cinema screenings at festivals and such.

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 16, 2015 at 4:03:33 pm

I haven't used Sonic DVD for quite a while, but I have used reference movies with tmpeg dvd authoring software. If you really want to know if you can use a reference quicktime movie to make a dvd...just give it a go. A 5 second test will probably answer you question pretty easily.

If Sonic opens the movie, and plays the sound properly, I would say it works.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on May 18, 2015 at 2:35:01 am

Yes, a QTRef file will work in TmpGenc. It will also work in Sorenson Squeeze, which is the Avid preferred application for transcoding any QTref file.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 18, 2015 at 2:46:23 am

Don't know if it's the "preferred" one or not. It happens to be part of the MC bundle that includes Sorenson and MPEG is one of the many formats it can deliver, and requires no additional purchase. I always found the quality to be OK, but not the best. Cinema Craft Encoder is one example of a better quality MPEG encoder for DVD in my opinion.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]