FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer Third party i/o device for voice over

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tara Palmer
Media Composer Third party i/o device for voice over
on May 13, 2015 at 2:29:00 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to buy a third party i/o device for my new macpro running Avid media composer 8.3 dongle version that allows you to do voice over via a mixing desk. It seems that all of the third party devices that cater for a thunderbolt connection only have a SDI audio input. Our mixing desk outputs are either unbalanced XLRs or mono audio jacks. Does anyone know anyway of bringing in audio via a mixer? Is there a workaround that works with Avid without the need of a video signal?

What we always used to do was select audio only through the mojo Dx on the capture tool. Third party i/o dont seem to be able to do this?

We have tried Matrox Mbox , blackmagic ultrastudio 4k, Aja dont have a XLR audio input.

Would it be better to get a secondhand mojo dx, nitris dx...not really future proofing though.

Any help would be fantastic.

Tara

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Media Composer Third party i/o device for voice over
on May 13, 2015 at 6:48:47 pm

Lots of third party I/O devices have audio inputs. Blackmagic Decklink cards usually all have at least one pair of analog audio inputs (on breakout). You can use that. Or if you want to get a video I/O that does not feature audio inputs, you can always take the mixer outputs (if they are unbalanced) and plug straight in to the Mac audio input. Then when you want to record, you just disable the video I/O (from the hardware active on/off button inside MC), and then in your Capture Tool you can choose audio input (built-in).

Return to posts index

Tara Palmer
on May 13, 2015 at 7:01:46 pm

Thanks Mark,

As I'm using the new Mac Pro I don't have the option to use the bm decklink cards and need a thunderbolt solution.

I never thought of going straight into the Mac pro audio input from the mixer. So I will try that out. It does seem like a flaff to toggle it off every time to do voice over.

I was hoping for all in one solution but it does seem that there isn't anything out there. Aja has just confirmed their products can't do it. BM I/o devices need a video signal to come in with it. Matrix Mbox 2 crashes the avid when used with the capture tool, my editor doesn't like audio tool. Very annoying.

Cheers about the direct input. I guess I will manage the levels through the mixer.

Tara

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on May 14, 2015 at 2:18:27 am

Thunderbolt. Gotcha. I can't personally vouch for it but this might be your all in one:

http://www.motu.com/video-products/hdx-sdi-thunderbolt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]