FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac, same MC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan crouch
New Mac, same MC
on May 9, 2015 at 10:55:27 am

Hello,
I have just bought a new mac and need to get my Avid MC up and running on it.
Can I just download the software from the Avid website and use the cserial number that I got when I first
subscribed to Avid a few months ago?

Thankyou in advance for any help with this,
Dan.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: New Mac, same MC
on May 9, 2015 at 11:15:32 am

Was the version you bought a perpetual license on a monthly subscription? That might have different methods of authorization. You want to make sure you deauthorize any Media Composer using that serial number first, then enter the authorization on the new system. If it is for the same version family, you should be fine. If not, you have 30 days of free trial to get it worked out.

Michael

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on May 9, 2015 at 1:17:16 pm

Thanks for the post Michael.
I have a perpetual licence that runs for a year.
Do you know if it's posdinle to de authorise the software from the new computer and then
re authorise?

Thanks for the advise,
Dan.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 9, 2015 at 1:24:26 pm

If you have a perpetual license, it will run for longer than a year, it just stays at the version after the year of support is up. If you miss the 1 year sign up, and you want to upgrade it will require you to buy a new licenses at whatever MSRP is at that time. And now you'll have two licenses; your original one stuck at the version forever and the new one which will have support for 1 year unless you let that lapse, and so on and so forth. If you pay the $299 support fee, then you can grab whatever is released when released.

But that being said, yes ,De-authorize, install version on new Mac, and authorize there.

Michael

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on May 10, 2015 at 12:28:42 pm

Thanks for the post Michael,
Im not sure I follow you entirely on the license stuff, but I get the info re de authorising my old mac.
Thanks very much for this.

Cheers,
Dan.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 10, 2015 at 4:28:52 pm

For perpetual license, you need to renew your support contract every year ($299) if you ever want to get updates.
If you don't, your license is forever frozen at the version you have. Get it?

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on May 11, 2015 at 10:05:26 am

Thanks for all the post's guys.
I am now up and running with MC 8 on my Mac.
Very clear and helpful advise as always, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 11, 2015 at 6:21:57 am

[dan crouch] "Do you know if it's posdinle to de authorise the software from the new computer and then
re authorise?"

Unless Avid changed this in the last couple of months you have to de-authorize from the old machine first before you can authorize it on the new machine. If you didn't do that you have to contact Avid and they can reset the license on their end.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 11, 2015 at 8:00:19 am

What version of Avid? It might not be "blessed" nor compatible with the OS that ships on that new Mac.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]