FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing a relink path for AMA files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Dean
Changing a relink path for AMA files
on May 4, 2015 at 1:14:30 pm

Hi - I've been handed a massive documentary to locate and export deleted scenes for its DVD. It was cut on MC 3.5 on a Windows XP computer, with four internal hard drives and four external ones to contain all the media (mxf as well as XDCAM files). Since I'm now working with MC 8 on a Macbook, I thought I could just copy everything from the multiple drives to a single 5 TB external drive (formatted for both platforms) and relink the deleted sequences. Nope. All the AMA files are still pointing to the original path from the multiple drives within the PC, even though they do exist on the new external drive. Is there a method to change the paths of the AMA clips to the new ones - and ideally, a lot of them at a time (there are THOUSANDS of clips in multiple XDCAM folders)? Basic question: how can I get my clips and sequences back online now that the AMA files are on a different drive? Thanks... David

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Changing a relink path for AMA files
on May 4, 2015 at 2:03:02 pm

It is the same process as a normal relink- where you want to take something from low res to high res, or low res to ama link.

I recently did this with a 3 hour doc that was using around 70 tb of footage..spread out over 3 pegasys drives, and originally cut on a mac system. I needed to uprez it and transfer to resolve on my pc system. I was not fun, but doable.

Use the "alt" drag to bin for quicker ama linking in this situation.

Make a new bin called May 4 amas...or something similar.
open an explorer window and alt drag the folders you want over to that bin. If you have tons of footage...as I did, I found at a certain point that the bin was just getting too big, and I would then start another bin.

The problem comes up when the system starts doing an auto save, and these huge ama bins take forever to save. If you can do any kind of selective ama-ing, it will save you time in the end.

Once that was all done, it was a matter of relinking. Select all your ama clips, and right click on your sequence- selecting the relink to all selected clips in open bins option.

Glenn

Return to posts index

David Dean
on May 4, 2015 at 3:04:37 pm

Thanks for your quick response, Glenn. I've tried your method without success. Here's what I did:

I created a new bin within the project called "Relinked AMAs From Drive 1." Then I went to the Finder (the "Explorer window" you referred to) and attempted to Option-drag the parent XDCAM folder into the bin. I got the error message "Unable to link to any clips." So I went all the way into the folder and attempted to option-drag the individual shot folders from the CLPR folder in. And got "The file format of [the shot folder] is not supported for import." Finally I went back a level and opt-dragged the BPAV folder into the bin. Success! All the clips from that folder showed up in the bin. However, opening each clip has presented me with the "Wrong Format" screen.

In the bin, the "Video" column has them listed as MPEG-4, and the "AMA Plug-In" column says they're "Quicktime Plug-In." As far as the format being "wrong" goes, the project, the sequences, and the clips are all listed as 1080p, 23.976. So I don't understand what's wrong about the format, since it all appears to match.

So that's where I am now, as offline as before, but now wrongly formatted! Story of my life.

David

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
on May 4, 2015 at 6:59:17 pm

Sometime happen that MC don't understand what ama plug in to use. Try to link to ama and in the ama link dialog box select xdcam plug in (not auto detect) save the setting and try again Glenn method.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]