FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clone media hard disks or xfer via Windows explorer?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Keating
Clone media hard disks or xfer via Windows explorer?
on May 3, 2015 at 10:56:34 pm

I was talking to the DIT on the pilot that I have been freelancing on. I asked him if I should clone my raw media files or is it ok to simply drag and drop via windows explorer. I have heard a number of opinions regarding this subject so I was curious to hear what he had to say. He told me that I should not bother cloning my media hard disks and that Windows and Mac OS 10 are built like ferraris, "Why would you get a toyata to get to work when you could use a ferrari. I see his point but I would love to hear other opinions regarding this.

Thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Clone media hard disks or xfer via Windows explorer?
on May 4, 2015 at 12:11:49 am

While OS level copies are good most of the time, the same number of files may get copied, but there might corruption introduced. And some production like to have a sumcheck file for their records as validation. So it depends on production and how exact the reporting needs to be if/when requested.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Clone media hard disks or xfer via Windows explorer?
on May 4, 2015 at 9:04:37 am

OS based file copies don't do a checksum verify so there is a very small risk of undetected data corruption.
So the question is just how important is the media?
Not important enough to use a process that will do a verify and create checksums for later comparison? Then just use the OS file copy.
If the content is important then use a vopy process that does a verify.
Cloning is one way but plenty if other tools that can do CRC checks and verify.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]