FORUMS: list search recent posts

DNxIO vs BMD Ultrastudio 4K Extreme

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Procopio
DNxIO vs BMD Ultrastudio 4K Extreme
on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:08:30 pm

What is the difference between the 2 boxes, other than the $1000 premium for the AVID name?

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC
AVID/Premiere/FCP editor/engineer

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: DNxIO vs BMD Ultrastudio 4K Extreme
on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:12:51 pm

DNxHD/DNxHR are native DI's for Avid.BMD is not. Like it or not, that's a fact.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:41:09 pm

The non-Avid version has ProRes and H.265 encoders on board whereas the DNxIO has DNxHR. There is no mention of on-board DNxHD encoding. The DNxHR will be an update in Q4/2015. Although not explicitly mentioned, I do not know if the DNxIO also includes H.265 but will assume (for now) that it does. The one advantage of DNxHR over ProRes is that it works cross platform on OS X or Win whereas encoding for ProRes is OS X only.

Other than that and the logo, it is hard to tell what other differences that exist. We will have to wait till Q3 to see what it really ends up being. The big question (amongst others) for me is whether the IO box will continue to use Avid's Open IO as with all third parties, or will there be better or tighter integration with this model? Word from NAB was that this would not provide universal mastering, so I wonder about all those frame rate conversions it can do.

The Avid version does include the Fusion Connector (not mentioned in the press release) for those wanting to integrate Fusion with MC - perhaps that is why it is a Q3 release which will be about the time I suspect we'll see the OS X version of Fusion hit the market. But word out of NAB was that there would also be a $200 Fusion connector only price at some point for those who needs just that.

At first blush, this seems better suited to facility class/machine room type configurations. In my world, the non Extreme version is a better fit for my file-based workflows. Comes with full version of Resolve, and getting the $200 Fusion connector will amount to $1,200.

My two cents based on what the information available so far - IBC is Q3 and perhaps the feature/benefit/value changes.

Michael

Return to posts index

Joe Procopio
on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:51:10 pm

Thanks Michael, EXACTLY what I was looking for

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Jonathan Abrams
on May 1, 2015 at 5:12:05 pm

The word at NAB was that this I/O would not have universal mastering. This is because universal mastering is not part of Open IO.

--
Jonathan S. Abrams, CEA, CEV, CBNT
Apple Certified - Technical Coordinator (v10.5) Support Professional (v10.6 through v10.8)
Chairman, NY section, AES

Return to posts index

Joe Procopio
on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:52:44 pm

Are you saying DNxHD and DNxHR compressions will NOT be available on the BMD box? Although they are on the current crop of BMD hardware on my AVIDs.
Why would that change?

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 30, 2015 at 4:09:35 pm

I am referring to the onboard hardware based encoding that is on the DNxIO. The press releases only mentions it will do DNxHR, leaving DNxHD to be done in software. On current third party hardware, ALL of the encoding is being done in software. So if hardware based DNxHR encoding has value in your workflow, then this box has it while other don't. It is somewhat similar to Avid's DX Nitris hardware having hardware assisted encoders versus DX Mojo which did not.

Michael

Return to posts index

Joe Procopio
on Apr 30, 2015 at 4:13:04 pm

thanks for the clarifiction

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:56:56 pm

From the questions I asked, it's also unclear whether or not the Avid version will also include onboard ProRes. I'm not sure there's a definitive answer, but I could be wrong. Also Avid will provide support for the Avid DNxIO, not BMD.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:18:45 pm

Yeah, Avid likes to not support all the features it has, nor the hardware has, when using third party hardware. Avid will allow it for basic play out and capture, but advanced features the cards have...or advanced features Avid has...it restricts to Avid hardware. So, when this box comes out, I'm sure it'll work better with Avid than the BMD 4K...because it's branded AVID.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Procopio
on May 18, 2015 at 9:42:43 pm

one of my biggest issues with BMD IO cards, even including the new Thunderbolt 4K (not the extreme as we don't have one yet) has been the jumping a frame when hitting the space bar....AJA does not do this, it is a nice rock solid stop, as is the NitrisDX box...SOOOOO, I'm hoping that working with AVID, and AVID qualifying the box, it won't be an issue anymore!

hoping!

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC
AVID/Premiere/FCP Engineer

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 19, 2015 at 12:05:23 am

Well Avid is the one supporting the box, not BMD, so it's on them!

Michael

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 21, 2015 at 12:51:22 pm

On this note I received the pricing for the DNxIO and its at $6900 CAD so thats like $50 USD..joking ;)
The above posts mentioned it to be considerably less?
I got the pricing from an Canadian Avid vendor.
To date the UltraStudio4K is a dud with Avid MC 8.3.x (8.x for that matter).
It works fine with 7.x as far as playback goes.
In 8.x the playback stutters and stalls after about 1 min of play.
Can easily be fixed by pausing then starting again.
A bit annoying to work in.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 21, 2015 at 1:03:01 pm

Well there's different pricing based on box alone, with subscription, etc. as seen here:
http://www.videoguys.com/avid-dnxio.html

Basically DnxIO standalone is USD $3,899

Same box, non-Avid model is USD $2,995

Does not include:

DNxHR encoding (comes with ProRes (on OS X) and H.265 encoding)
Avid Support
Extra AC cable
Logo

Michael

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 21, 2015 at 2:10:10 pm

Thanks Michael :)

That helps!

Return to posts index

Nicolas Vidal
on Jul 23, 2015 at 6:08:42 am

Hi Joe,
I'm recently using blackmagic ultrastudio express on a laptop set up with media composer and experience the same one frame jump when stopping playback that you mentioned. I also get a weird jump when starting a reverse playback (J), a second later reverse playback becomes stable. Last but not least, playback gets very choppy when I enter mouse shuttle mode and start playing with the playback speed, a feature very useful when you want to listen interviews at a faster playback rate to save some time...
So far those are my only complains with the BM box but it really makes a difference compared to my office set up with DX hardware. Can you confirm that none of this happens when using an AJA box? I went with BM for Resolve compatibility but if getting a T-Tap just for media composer monitoring solves those playback issues I'm sold. I don't feel like waiting and hoping for better drivers, even thought your right, things might get better with the DNxIO partnership...
Thanks,
Nico

Return to posts index

Joe Procopio
on Jul 23, 2015 at 1:23:11 pm

Nico,
yes, I can confirm that the AJA box works correctly. There are other issues though with the AJA box...I have had to rebuild the system completely 2 times in the past 6 months because the system became completely unstable. If you have an image though, not much of an issue...or a time machine incremental backup....

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Nicolas Vidal
on Jul 23, 2015 at 9:38:59 pm

Thanks Joe,
I always keep a clone of my system at hand so that doesn't scare me too much ;) So playback is really on pair with DX hardware on AJA boxes, that's really good news. I don't see how it can mess with the system to the point of needing a clean install thought! That's uncommon, are you positive the AJA box and drivers are to blame for that? Anyways thank you so much for your feedback, I'll give it a try with the Ttap...
Best,
Nico

Return to posts index

Joe Procopio
on Jul 23, 2015 at 9:55:09 pm

so, the first thing was not being able to sign in to any user with the AJA box on when I booted...without it, i was logging in to everyone...so I uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled them, and it worked for a couple days...i thought...easy peasy...then come monday, same exact thing happened, couldn't log in to the system...tried to boot without AJA and the system was finito...had to re-image the thing...happened twice,on a system that isn't used much...only thing that it was pointing to was the AJA box...since i couldn't log on with the box on, no record of what was going on in the console....so I can't say exactly what it was, BUT, this is the only system that had trouble with it...our other AJA system had been fine....and our other trashcans are running BMD IOs...it is fully possible it was the AJA hardware and not the drivers causing the issues as we didn't have another IO to test it with...but we do now if it ever pops up again!

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]