FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you select/deselect 'record tracks' in the timeline using the keyboard.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
How do you select/deselect 'record tracks' in the timeline using the keyboard.
on Apr 15, 2015 at 7:10:25 am

I have a sync timeline exported from plural eyes with my video sources in tracks v1, a1 and a2; and my audio sources in tracks a3 and a4.

I am making sync clips from this timeline by moving the cursor to a video clip, match framing the clip to mark an in, then deselecting v1, (leaving a1 and a2 alwas deselected) and match framing with a3 and a4 selected (I leave them always selected) thereby marking an in in the corresponding sound clip. I then go the the bin and auto sync the sound and video clips by in points.

Thing is, this is pretty laborious and really only slightly better than doing the same thing without having plural eyes involved. Since Plural Eyes doesn't offer the ability to create synced clips from it's sync timeline export as it does with FCP 7, I know of no other way to achieve this and so would like to streamline the process as much as I can.

It seems to me that this task is most laborious at the point track selection which involves a lot of switching from mouse and back to keyboard and is repetitive too. If I can move this step of the process to an all keyboard or at least mostly all keyboard operation then it'll be at least a bit less painful.

I tried mapping the tracks buttons from the command palette to the keyboard, assigning the video tracks to shift + function keys and the audio to shift + number row keys. Trouble is, it only seems to affect the left side of the track selection column, the 'source tracks' and not the 'record tracks'. For this operation, control of the source tracks is entirely useless and even if I would like the ability sometimes I'm pretty sure what I will always most want keyboard control of would the record tracks since there's a form of indirect control over the source tracks through the activation and deactivation of those tracks anyway.

Can this be done?

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
Re: How do you select/deselect 'record tracks' in the timeline using the keyboard.
on Apr 15, 2015 at 11:36:08 am

Ended up figuring it out.

The escape key on the standard Avid keyboard is already mapped to toggle source and record monitors. For the circumstance I'm in where I'm constantly switching between timeline and source monitor because of the match frame button, it's simple to use the keyboard to select the tracks I want on the timeline when nothing is loaded in the source monitor as the record tracks are by default what's affected, and then after hitting the match frame key, pressing escape to toggle the record monitor which when selected allows the record tracks to be manipulated as opposed to the source tracks.

I think read somewhere that ctrl 0 is switch focus to timeline. I'll probably look in to that too, but the simplicity of the two way toggle between source and record is pretty handy.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: How do you select/deselect 'record tracks' in the timeline using the keyboard.
on Apr 15, 2015 at 6:43:59 pm

You might want to look into macro programmes too for repetitive key strokes... Butler on Mac AHK on Windows

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]