FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving Avid Media files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Keating
Moving Avid Media files
on Apr 14, 2015 at 6:49:42 pm

Hi,

I have multiple drives that each have Avid Media files at the root directory. I need to place copies of these files onto an 8TB array. How should I proceed? Do I simply rename the numbered folders and copy to the array or do I need to conform the files? Thanks.

John

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Moving Avid Media files
on Apr 14, 2015 at 6:56:14 pm

[John Keating] "Do I simply rename the numbered folders and copy to the array"

That's what I would do. Copy them over, then in each numbered folder delete the "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb" folder. Launch Avid and it will rescan and rebuild them and your media should be online.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

John Keating
on Apr 14, 2015 at 7:04:24 pm

Michael,

Thanks for the help.Is this as simple as using a file explorer and dragging and dropping or do i need to use software to do this?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 14, 2015 at 7:09:01 pm

Explorer/Finder will work fine. If you want to be really safe you can use a data transfer program that does a CheckSum at the end to verify the transfer. But I've always done it at the desktop level (using Explorer (PC) or Finder (Mac)) and I've never had an issue.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Apr 14, 2015 at 7:25:48 pm

I would copy each numbered folder and rename before you copy then you don't run the chance of getting too much into a single numbered folder - you can have up to 99 numbered folders I believe. Also when you open Avid it won't re-scan all those files but you can force that option if you see any sign of trouble.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
on Apr 15, 2015 at 7:52:10 am

Depending on the complexity of your requirements and reasons for doing this move there can be some other techniques you can employ to help manage the migration and also for general media management besides just copying everything from one drive to another and renaming the number sequences.

Is the media all from one project? Or lots of different projects?

If it's from a few different projects you CAN keep it all in the one Avid MediaFiles in the volume root directory but it gets difficult for moving stuff around later except through Avid, that mightn't be an issue but sometimes it's preferable to be able to move things around and organise them at the level of finder or explorer.

There's lots of different tricks to enforce some kind of separation depending on what your objective is. One of the simplest ones is to have on your drive root, a folder called 'Avid MediaFiles' and in that a subfolder called 'MXF' as you always would, but to also have multiple other subfolders for each project inside the Avid MediaFiles folder as well. The MXF directory will have your usual, numbered, Avid folders inside it and inside the other directories are the numbered Avid folders that formerly resided inside their own 'MXF' directory but now reside inside a folder with a name of your choosing. With this method, Avid will only recognise media inside an 'MXF' folder that is inside an 'Avid MediaFiles' folder and will ignore all media inside the other folders. If you want to work on a different project, you rename the 'MXF' directory of the current project into a name of your own choosing (this means Avid can no longer see this media and this media is 'inactive') and then rename the folder with the media for the project you want to work on next, in to 'MXF' (this means avid can see this media and it's now 'active'). It's a reasonably simple though slightly basic form of media management external to the Avid software. It's limited by Avid only being able to access media for one project at a time though, unless the other media you want is on a physically separate drive.

There's other things you can do too and ways of accessing media from multiple projects at once, all on one volume, whilst still maintaining some folder separation and there's also third party software designed exclusively for reading avid media databases to help you identify media and then move it around on disk. A lot of the 3rd party software options are getting out of date though or are pc only but some people like them.

If your requirements are complicated or if you'd like to be able to separate stuff let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Otherwise, just moving it through finder/explorer as you plan to will work, as you guessed you'll need to rename the numbered folders so you don't get naming conflicts, Avid will actually read media database files and media inside folders in an MXF directory that are named using a different convention than just the numerals, but it won't write to any such folders so you can't create or rescan database files in directories named that way but you can read them. Therefore you'll have to remember to rename the folders as sequential numbers without leading zeroes or any alphabetical or punctuation characters. You shouldn't need to delete the database files and rescan them using the array volume unless there is anything apparently wrong with those files, otherwise they should work no matter what storage or machine they came from originally. That means if you have very full directories you can avoid waiting for re-scans unless you see some stuff offline.

Return to posts index

John Keating
on Apr 16, 2015 at 1:59:35 pm

Jimmy,

This was enormously helpful. I can't thank you enough for your help.

Best,

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]