FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert 24p to 23.98p

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Brother
Convert 24p to 23.98p
on Apr 9, 2015 at 7:57:08 pm

Hi all. I have a project that was edited in 24p. it is being sent to a dub house that rejects 24p and only works with 23.98. I know I cannot change the project to 23.98 at this point (and then export). So with the final 24p (ProRes) exported, I need to convert them to 23.98. Any suggestions on best way/program to do this?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Dan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Convert 24p to 23.98p
on Apr 9, 2015 at 8:28:11 pm

What was it shot with that shoots 24fps straight up? Or was it shot 23.98 and edited at 24fps? 24p is a confusing term, as it is used by people to mean 24fps...or 23.98fps. Most cameras when they say 24p, they shoot 23.98....so it's confusing.

I'm just curious what it was shot with and why was it edited at 24fps? When the only delivery format for that is DCP or film out. And what are you dubbing it to?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Brother
on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:41:39 pm

Hi Shane. Thanks for the response.
The footage was shot on a RED, then transcoded to 1080p/23.98.
The Avid project was mistakenly created at 1080p/24 instead of 1080p/23.976. But by the time I discovered this, everything was ingested and there was no turning back due to an aggressive timeline.
The particular spots that are being dubbed are going straight to web (YouTube and Hulu), so why the client wants them sent to the dub house instead of us just compressing for web is confusing. But that is the directive. Seems my only option appears to be to try to convert them to 23.98.
Dan

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 10, 2015 at 1:21:44 pm

I suppose you an export a QuickTime movie of your final film and take that into Apple Cinema Tools, if you have access to it. You can then conform the 24 fps film to 23.98 with no quality loss. This will be slightly slowing things down, so your duration will change. The audio will also be affected, but with a change this small, you may not need to pitch correct..

If a small duration and audio pitch change (pitch can be post corrected in software if necessary) is acceptable to you, this is a very quick and painless solution, as Cinema Tools works instantaneously.

Return to posts index

Dan Brother
on Apr 10, 2015 at 6:37:33 pm

Thanks for the response, John. I will give that a try.
Just for the heck of it, I tried exporting the file and then creating a 23.98 project and importing it just to see the results. When I re-exported it, the quality was horrible. So crossing that off my list. ; )

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 10, 2015 at 7:43:59 pm

In 8.3 you have the ability to change playback rate of a clip via its source settings to match project rate. This is a frame for frame conversion, so the same as changing its frame rate to 23.976. Audio will be sample rate converted, but not pitch corrected. the .1% is usually not an issue unless it's heavy music like Symphony in C Major and there are pitch perfect listeners watching it. It will drive them crazy... ;)

If you don't have 8.3 or Cinema Tools, My very first blog was how to do Universal Mastering in a file based world using Media Composer:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=6

And just in case, I created a spreadsheet that calculates the sample rate one needs to apply either during production or after production to match picture speed changes as well as what amount of pitch correction if desired.

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=195

Michael

Return to posts index

Dan Brother
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:18:27 pm

Thanks Michael. Some really good info there!
Unfortunately, this particular production company is in MC 6.5.3 mode, but there seem to be a few solutions to this problem. Thank you so much for your feedback.
Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]