FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best cloud collaboration workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Keating
Best cloud collaboration workflow
on Apr 1, 2015 at 6:59:13 pm

i will be collaborating with my editor over the next six months and I am attempting to figure out an idealized workflow wherin I can send bins,clips,audio and images via a cloud based solution.

Is this as simple as using Dropbox or are there better apps out there. My rig is a pc and his is a Mac if that matters.

Thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Best cloud collaboration workflow
on Apr 1, 2015 at 7:54:54 pm

Will it be a "send" or a "shared" - A send might just use a service like filemail.com while sharing might use Dropbox. Things get a little more complicated if you want version management involved as you will have to manage that manually with things like Dropbox. I've used https://www.rushtera.com/ which is very fast and does a great job. I've recently used Frame I/O for review and approval workflow and it was great. AFrame combines a little of both.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Keating
on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:12:49 pm

Thanks for responding Michael. I don't know what you mean with "version management." can you elaborate on this.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:23:13 pm

if you're updating bins for example when editing, that you don't overwrite a bin that might be in uses when doing so is one example. I usually zip up project folder and add a date/timestamp to it before putting it on a shared drive somewhere. If working with graphics and such, you will have a naming mechanism in place for the same reasons.

Return to posts index

John Keating
on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:44:22 pm

Thanks so much. Rushtera is great.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Apr 1, 2015 at 9:15:03 pm

I've always tried and make it so that one machine had the actual master project, and anyone on any other system would send bins over in that direction. Depends on your workflow if that is at all possible.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 1, 2015 at 9:19:49 pm

I agree that setting up a master-slave workflow will reduce/eliminate deleted bins and work and visits to the Attic.

Michael

Return to posts index

Brian Berdan
on Apr 2, 2015 at 4:14:20 pm

I'm using Dropbox right now- my assistant keeps my project updated from afar. As for media synchronization, I've done a couple shows using Chronosync and Slink. Slink allows Chronosync to see remote drives and do backups and syncs with them. Each editor has their dedicated renders and imports drives or partitions, and I set it to back up to each others systems overnight. Worked great... like Unity in slow-motion.

Brian

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

Return to posts index

Harry Jung
on Apr 2, 2015 at 6:22:01 pm

Try collavate. You can send a file or docs within google drive to request an approval

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 3, 2015 at 1:49:51 pm

I just went through this on a project of my own. For us the biggest hassle was the pc vs Mac issue, simply because quite a bit of the footage was AMA linked. Every time you load their bin you must relink the bins that use those clips.

My pc was looking for G drive material. And her Mac was looking for Volume named material.

If it was all avid media then it is just a matter of keeping it organized.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]