FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filemaker > Excel > ALE > Import to Avid?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JD Marlow
Filemaker > Excel > ALE > Import to Avid?
on Mar 31, 2015 at 4:12:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm sure someone has solved this -- but I cannot seem to. I work on many archive shows where clips are first logged in a program like Filemaker (or similar). What I would like to be able to do is export a CSV or Excel file out of Filemaker, reformat it to match my bin headers in Avid, and import it as if it were an ALE.

I've done some testing exporting existing archive clips to see how they format in Excel. Then I've tried making that from scratch and importing it into Avid and it doesn't seem to come in. I've read Michael's 24p PDF on ALE import wonkiness, and I'm inclined to believe that it's just too fragile to allow this to work. For example, even when I export a bin to ALE and round trip it back in, a ton of custom metadata that I've entered gets completely lost, even though it's right there in the ALE I exported in the first place. And, for some reason, as soon as I alter the ALE in Excel and save it (even though it's still a .ALE file format) a round trip back into Avid no longer takes.

Any ideas would be helpful! If anyone has had success, I would love to hear about it.

JD

JD Marlow
jd@jdmarlow.com
http://www.jdmarlow.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Filemaker > Excel > ALE > Import to Avid?
on Mar 31, 2015 at 4:52:40 pm

I sent an email to the address provided. Once we figure this out, I will post back here so everyone can read the solution (assuming there is one...). :)

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]