FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export AAF To Resolve With Pan & Zoom Effects (MC 8.3.1)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
W.D. Conine
Export AAF To Resolve With Pan & Zoom Effects (MC 8.3.1)
on Mar 28, 2015 at 9:55:29 pm

I am currently working on a promo for a documentary. The project, my first in MC, is a mix of 23.97 and 29.97, of 4K, 2K, 1080P, and 720P, of R3D, MOV, P2 MXF, and still images, of AMA linked and consolidated media. Put simply, this is a mess of a formats but, like a miracle, my AAF export seemed to work perfectly with Resolve with one big exception.

The Avid Pan and Zoom effects I applied to the litany of still images were not retained.

In my attempts, the only time the effects were preserved was with a mixdown but that did not retain all my cuts, defeating a bit of the purpose. In all other attempts, Resolve found the images but they were defaulted without effect.

Even after rendering the effects in timeline and checking the "Render Effect" box out of paranoria, nothing but the full image defaulted in the center would appear in Resolve....

Side note that may not affect anything but in my editing, I would import the images, lay those in my tracks, apply the Avid Pan and Zoom effect on those, and import the original images within the effect. Pointless perhaps but it makes sense in my head and makes it easier for tweaking. Though since I don't see that commonly done, I do not know if that is somehow affecting all of this.

I suppose, worst comes to worst, I can take a mixdown track and add the cuts back in but there must be a better way.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Export AAF To Resolve With Pan & Zoom Effects (MC 8.3.1)
on Mar 28, 2015 at 11:25:03 pm

Pan and Zoom does not translated to Resolve. Still in general are challenging as Resolve sees it as a single frame and Media Composer defaults to 30 seconds, so Resolve does not see any event that is more than 1 frame.

From a plug-in perspective, Resolve supports the basic effects including resize from the 3D including rotate, but since there is no equivalent OFX of pan & zoom it does not parse the metadata. But it does not. A better bet may be using Boris which does have an OFX version for Resolve. But you will run into the 1 frame conform issue.

Your best best is doing what you already started with the mixdown. You can export an EDL and use that as a "notch" timeline to recreate the events in Resolve. Or use Resolve's own scene detection.

Michael

Return to posts index

W.D. Conine
on Mar 29, 2015 at 1:52:24 am

Thank you, Michael, for the answer and explanation. While frustrating to hear, at least there is a clear solution even if it is a bit time consuming. I should probably be happy this is my only issue, given the horror stories I heard from others about the AVID-Resolve workflow when I first started subscribing to MC.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 29, 2015 at 1:57:52 am

Like anything, one you understand what will work or not, then planning conforms and roundtrips become easier. I've done a lot of conforms in Resolve, round trips, dailies and such and there are certainly things to watch for. Every system has their way of representing source, compositions, effects, etc. and anything that requires interchange is open to interpretation and support on both side of the process. The Resolve guide is very well written and complete, and they have some good charts as to what is expected to conform. Outside of that, you start looking at the workaround that preserve the quality as much as possible.

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 29, 2015 at 4:42:55 pm

If you did a round trip back to Avid, would it not reapply your pan and zoom? (I don't usually work too much with stills like this...but that was my assumption)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 29, 2015 at 4:56:19 pm

If you render out a timeline, then it is all baked in, but then you don't have edits anymore other than lining up your existing timeline and doing the "subdivide" trick with Pan&Scan (not zoom) or using an EDL/relink trick I blogged about here:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=35

There is no real roundtrip in the case of Pan & Zoom, since the conform does not really work in he first place as mentioned. But in the case of AAF roundtrips, Avid and Blackmagic still have some work to do in that area to know when it has been baked in or not etc. Sometimes a sequence refresh helps, other times you need to remove the effect so it does not get "doubled" up.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]