FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting from Avid 8 to a reasonabily sized file

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lior Aouate
Exporting from Avid 8 to a reasonabily sized file
on Mar 26, 2015 at 9:13:03 am

Hello,
I am trying to export and 8 minutes video I editing, but all I can get is an exported file that varies between 1.8-7 giga.

What options should I choose to keep an 8 minutes video under 500 mb and still with good quality?

Thanks

Return to posts index

James Patterson
Re: Exporting from Avid 8 to a reasonabily sized file
on Mar 26, 2015 at 9:42:59 am

What is the destination of the file? You can can export a h.264 from Avid but if you've got squeeze (which is included with avid) on your machine you're best exporting same as source or a QuickTime ref from avid and encoding it via that. There are some good h.264 presets in squeeze and you can increase the bit rate within the preset until you're happy with the size/quality balance.

Best

Return to posts index

Lior Aouate
on Mar 26, 2015 at 10:07:50 am

The smallest I achieved was 1.8giga with h.264.

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Mar 26, 2015 at 11:42:29 am

What flavour of DNX is your footage? How are you exporting the h.264 from avid, are you choosing a bit rate or selecting good, better, best? Have you tried using squeeze? Bit rates of between 3000 and 5000 usually give a good balance for web, but what people see as good quality can be subjective. You should be able to get an 8 min vid to 500mb.

Best

Return to posts index

Lior Aouate
on Mar 26, 2015 at 12:09:16 pm

The movie is composed entirely of still images, 1920x1080, so not that heavy.
I am exporting h.264 from avid and did not choose the bit rate but quality High.

Btw I am choosing quicktime movies and not reference. Maybe that's the problem?

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Mar 26, 2015 at 12:41:11 pm

Choosing your own bit rate gives you more flexibility, the high, best setting etc are quick but you normally end up with a bigger file but with the same quality that can be achieved at a lower file size. You can export 30 sec sections at different bit rates to give you an idea of how large the 8 minute version would be but tbh it's much easier and quicker to go through squeeze to encode an h.264.

QuickTime ref is only necessary if you're going to encode outside of avid.

Best

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]