Relinking doesn't work
I've got some AAFs, which were exported from offline Final Cut Sequences, but I've got the entire material as Avid MediaFiles and in Avid everything is online. Bringing the Final Cut Sequences back online, isn't an option - the explanation is very long and confusing, so I skip it (sorry).
I imported the AAFs into Avid and as expected everything is offline. So far so good.
I tried to relink one sequence - it worked, everything is online, yippieh. I tried to relink another sequence - some clips were relinked, some stayed offline. I tried another sequence - everything stayed offline.
I tried every setting and combination in the relinking menu more than once (enable "target", Source ID Name/Source File Name, ignore extension, match case than compairing source file names etc etc). I also selected every file in every bin and enabled "Selected items in all open bins" - everything stayed offline. I even tried to reload the media database - everything stayed offline.
Sometimes Avid told me "no clips were relinked. You may want to select "all available drives"......", sometimes Avid told me just "no clips were relinked" and sometimes Avid sayed "relinking...." and nothing happend.
So I thought "Maybe I haven't got all the material". I picked an offline clip in the timeline, say it's name is "KSZF_0909" and searched for the MediaFile named "KSZF_0909" in the Avid MediaFiles Folder - I found the MediaFiles "KSZF_0909" (one for video and two for audio, as expected).
Every bit of the material which I need is there, but Avid doesn't find it.
Does anyone have an idea? I'd very much appreciate your help.
To use the "Link to media in all open bins" function, that media needs to be brought into your project- have you done this, or are you just trying to link to the avid as it sits in your database folder?
Open a new bin and drag the database into this bin. You should now see your clips, including the one you described KSZF_0909.
From here, I usually suggest just trying to get Avid to link to this clip. Try and figure out what settings are needed to link to it.
Open another bin,and put a copy of your sequence in it. Go to the hamburger menu, and select "set bin display" and at the bottom "show media relatives" I think that's what its called. This will populate the bin with every clip needed to build that sequence.
Find the clip KSZF_0909 and highlight it. Now set up some custom columns to see what information is available with that clip. Name,TapeID Source File, Tape, Start, End, Duration. Deselect all other columns. Save that view as AMALInks
Go to your bin with all the media from the database, and call up the view AMALinks.
Find KSZF_0909 and compare the information in the two bins. At some point you should be able to see a piece of information that is different, which should help you narrow down what fields you need to select or avoid to get the custom relink to work. One of the easiest is the name field. Is it the same for both bins. Is the Start TC the same. If so, that is your custom setting to get the link to activate. If not, does the Name that is appearing in one bin show up in a different column in the other bin. If so, that is your custom relink setting using the "target is different" tab. (you could also copy that information column into the name column and continue from there)
I find a more organized approach to selecting these settings will usually help you get the links to work, as well as help your understanding for the next time this happens, cause it will happen again.
One final note, with all the best workflows in the world being suggested and tried, sometimes you still have to go in and manually re-edit the shot in. Pain in the butt, but sometimes I do find the data all seems correct, but it sill won't relink.
Thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply.
The Final Cut Sequences contain synced audio and video. Since there was external audio, but no TC sync (it's roughly the same TC...) and no slates, we thought, that we could save some time by importing these sequences into Avid. Yesterday morning we decided to sync everything again, because solving that relinking issue seems to take longer.
But I'll try your advice, 'cause, as you wrote, I suppose that will happen again (hopefully not any time soon) and I want to know, why it didn't work.
Thank you so much