FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting H.264 with 4:2:2 from AVID?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kale Reum
Exporting H.264 with 4:2:2 from AVID?
on Mar 24, 2015 at 7:22:43 pm

Hello,

I've been tasked with exporting from AVID media composer 8.3.0 for web delivery according to these specs:

The footage was captured at 23.976 fps to an atomos ninja in DNX-HD and imported (not ama linked). All of our rough cuts are currently being done in 1080p23.976 projects.

What is the best way to export to meet the delivery specs? Should our exports be done from a 29.97fps project? Also, I can't seem to find any information on exporting 4:2:2 H.264 from Avid. Is this even possible?

Thanks,
Kale

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Exporting H.264 with 4:2:2 from AVID?
on Mar 24, 2015 at 9:23:34 pm

I have to say those specs look more like broadcast specs, than web delivery/steaming specs. But that being said, do a mixdown of your 23.976 timeline and make a new sequence from that with your audio. Open that sequence in a 1080i/59.94 project and when loading the sequence, you will be prompted for a conversion. Click yes. This will do a frame rate conversion from 23.976p to 59.94i with a continuous 2:3 pulldown. You can do a transcode to DNxHD of your choice, and export a QT reference or "same as source" and encode to those specs in a third party application like Sorenson Squeeze, Adobe Media Encoder, and even MPEG Streamclip to those specs. When exporting out, make sure you are set up to Rec601/709 for settings assuming your timeline and such has been corrected to SMPTE video standards for black and white levels.

As a side note, when I look at Netflix, Amazon, and other streaming services, they always want the content at the original rate, in this case you would be delivering a 23.98 H.264.

Michael

Return to posts index

Kale Reum
Re: Exporting H.264 with 4:2:2 from AVID?
on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:54:01 pm

Thank you Michael. I'll try a couple versions of this, encoding with Squeeze and Mpeg Streamclip.

Best,
Kale

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]