FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback Issues: AMA Linking Pro Res 4444

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Gavin
Playback Issues: AMA Linking Pro Res 4444
on Mar 18, 2015 at 10:54:48 pm

I'm having the issue Avid 8.2.

I used AMA Quicktime Plugin to link ProRes HD 4444 in Avid. The files play back slowly and audio lags behind video. When I transcode to MXF they play fine.

Is anyone else having this problem? Know what it might be?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Playback Issues: AMA Linking Pro Res 4444
on Mar 19, 2015 at 2:28:45 pm

Sounds like your box can't handle that size of a file.

MXF is a much more Avid friendly codec.

What are your specs
What kind of drive are you trying to play back from.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 19, 2015 at 2:46:38 pm

MXF is only a wrapper to the codec, so when you say "transcode to MXF" it can either be rewrapping the codec as MXF (a consolidate) which now becomes Avid managed versus AMA linked, or it might also include a transcode to an MAXF wrapped DNxHD codec. There are two things to look at here - when you transcode are you selecting an equivalent DNxHD codec data rate wise? If so, the issue might be the overhead that AMA imposes, so perhaps trying a consolidate (rewrap only) of the ProRes codec might be the answer. If you are transcoding to a smaller data rate DNxHD, then it is a throughput issue with either drive speed, drive connection, drive type, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

Brian Gavin
on Mar 19, 2015 at 5:11:54 pm

Michael,

I meant that instead AMA linking, when I imported the Pro Res 4444 file into Avid and Avid transcodes & manages the file, and it plays back without issue.

I'm just trying to see how I can adjust the AMA-linked codecs to improve playback, since it's much faster to AMA-link than import these files.

Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Gavin
on Mar 19, 2015 at 5:13:32 pm

The specs are ProRes 4444 2048x1152 and they are playing back from a Facilis partition.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 19, 2015 at 6:49:52 pm

What is Avid transcoding to? First off, you are linking to 2k ProRes 444 files. They not only take pretty seriously fast hard drives to play, but any version of avid prior to MC8.3 won't handle files larger than HD well. 8.3 enables the Avid to deal with 2K and 4K media, and convert to those file sizes.

I suspect when you import your media is being converted to DNxHD 145, or 175...even 220 plays back easier than 2K PRoREs 444 files. And again, you need fast drives. FW800 won't cut it. eSATA, SAS, Thunderbolt, 10GigE Ethernet is needed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brian Gavin
on Mar 19, 2015 at 7:02:50 pm

AVID transcoded AMA linked ProRes 4444 to Apple ProRes MXF and this resolved the playback issue. I also tried transcoding to DNxHD 115 and that played back just fine.

Thanks for the help. I'm new to AVID and will probably be utilizing these forums quite a bit.

I love post-production - learn something new & worthwhile every day.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]