FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moire prone GFX look much worse in 1080i than 1080p

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JD Marlow
Moire prone GFX look much worse in 1080i than 1080p
on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:53:46 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm running into something that I assume is common for some of you. But I've not seen such a difference in quality with still photos between progressive and interlaced Avid projects. Here are two screen grabs from a still photo I'm using in a project -- one imported into a 1080i 59.94 Avid Project at DNX220x, and one imported into a 1080p 23.98 project at DNX175x. In motion, the interlaced version looks like a trippy vertigo experience. We're trying to evaluate how much to blur this coming out of After Effects, but it's impossible to tell if this is just a product of being in an interlaced world or what. Any thoughts would be really helpful!

1080i INTERLACED

1080p PROGRESSIVE

JD Marlow
jd@jdmarlow.com
http://www.jdmarlow.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Moire prone GFX look much worse in 1080i than 1080p
on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:41:42 pm

Are these screenshots directly from the MC GUI? Were they both taken in green/green mode in the timeline? Even them, an interlace project never shows both fields, only one (1/2 frame) and seeing as source is a progression still, it will be very similar to a segmented frame concept.

If this is not a screenshot of the MC GUI, and are for example, full frame export from the timeline, then there is some funkiness going on -

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:49:20 pm

Yes, interlacing makes this line art stuff worse, for sure. Due to the two fields thing. Best to have this progressive. But even when we work at 23.98 progressive, when we convert to 29.97 interlaced for broadcast it looks like poo. So we avoid this type of stuff when possible, and when not, we minimize movement.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

JD Marlow
on Mar 10, 2015 at 7:30:18 pm

Michael,

This was direct from Avid GUI Record Monitor. Full 10-bit Green going out as well to my Panasonic 55" Plasma in both "i" and "p" projects. I was afraid of what Shane is saying...sounds like we'll have to blur these to death.

JD Marlow
jd@jdmarlow.com
http://www.jdmarlow.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]