FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export settings

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fernando alves
Export settings
on Mar 9, 2015 at 4:53:04 pm

Hello,

I dont know if I am doing in the right way, but when I export a sequence to a quickytime mov its get darker and & with higher contrast or flat.

darker & with higher contrast: Export > Sent to QT movie > Options > QT movie> Color Levels RGB

flat: ... Color Levels 601/709

Is there another way to export an sequence into quicktime mov? Or another way of export a sequence to something similiar to quicktime?

Am I doing in the right way?

Cheers,

Fernando

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Export settings
on Mar 9, 2015 at 5:25:03 pm

Ok...well, a couple things. First off, the Avid interface...the Preview and Program monitors...aren't color accurate. They aren't designed to be. They are there to show you what you are doing. For color accuracy, you need a broadcast monitor or calibrated HDTV connected to the system via a professional video IO device (Nitris, Mojo, AJA, BMD). But even with that, what you see on that will differ with what you see in Quicktime. Because video monitors like that are calibrated to show you proper rec 709 video signals, and Quicktime and computer displays are not.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

fernando alves
on Mar 9, 2015 at 5:58:14 pm

Hello Shane,

Thanks. So I do need to have a Pro Monitor?

How is the best way to export a .mov in Avid? I was doing some tests and did the same thing in final cut pro. The export in final cut pro was better than Avid. I work in both app with the same footage. I know why ddoes it happen?

Cheers,

Fernando

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2015 at 6:05:32 pm

[fernando alves] "Thanks. So I do need to have a Pro Monitor?"

Well, this is tricky. Because if you want to have accurate colors for broadcast...and you are doing the color correcting and not hiring someone else to do it...yes you do. If you need to have proper color for the web...? That's tricky. Because how do you really monitor that? You need to have a properly calibrated computer monitor (EyeON and others do that for graphics and photo work), but then how will you judge that when your editing interface isn't designed to give that?

I hear that later versions of Avid...8.0 thru 8.3...have settings you can apply to make them display Rec 709. In the COMPOSER settings, under the VIEWER tab, you can set this to REC 709. And that should get you really close. (Sorry, I just remembered that little tidbit).

See if that works. And note that colors on your monitor will differ from everyone elses. Just like what I see in my broadcast monitor might not be what I see on TV...because of the compression added to the video (any compression throws away color information) and because of how the televisions are calibrated. Most are not....just on factory default.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

fernando alves
on Mar 9, 2015 at 6:38:34 pm

Shane,

So it is better to export a QT using a filter? I ll check it:

"I hear that later versions of Avid...8.0 thru 8.3...have settings you can apply to make them display Rec 709. In the COMPOSER settings, under the VIEWER tab, you can set this to REC 709. And that should get you really close. (Sorry, I just remembered that little tidbit)".

Cheers,

Fernando

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2015 at 6:41:21 pm

[fernando alves] "So it is better to export a QT using a filter?"

Not sure what you mean by that. What filter is there for that? "Make QT export look like Avid display?"

In FCP land, when you exported a self contained, un-recompressed QT, you could open QT Pro and check a box "enable FCP color compatibility." That made it match what FCP showed. There is nothing like that for Avid. And when you compress that footage to iPhone or YouTube or MP4...it'll look different anyway. Color information will be lost.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

fernando alves
on Mar 11, 2015 at 1:13:08 am

Thanks, Job ter Bug!

And Shane, hehe. Nice one.

By filter,I mean an effect called "Color Effect". I ve created a second empty video track and added a Filler with an effect named "Color Effect". I know it isn't the right way, but now people see the film and dont crack about the QT going "darker and & with higher contrast".

Now it going online. I made an AAF of the approved version to Color Grading (without the Filler). I needed the QT to show the cut to the producers

Cheers,

Fernando

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]