FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Everywhere

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Davison
Avid Everywhere
on Mar 5, 2015 at 12:36:09 pm

Is anyone using this? Is anyone editing from home while linking in to Rushes on a central server? Id love to hear from anyone who is really using this in anger...

Life on the Bleedin' Cutting Edge....

http://www.twotallmen.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid Everywhere
on Mar 5, 2015 at 2:18:20 pm

AVID Everywhere is a very top level name that encompasses almost everything Avid offers. Under this banner you get Artist Suites (which includes Media Composer and Pro Tools, etc.) Call it very clever or confusing, but I have seen press releases that say "feature film "such and such" used Avid Everywhere to..." and I think, "wow, they used remote cloud based editing for that?" And in reading the details, they used Media Composer, Pro Tools and ISIS shared storage. All of which falls under "Avid Everywhere". I have to admit it made me look, but then I realize it's no different than most studio level films using Avid products.

What you are asking for is Media Composer | Cloud. More info on that here:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Media-Composer-Cloud

Hard to tell from this the status, as it is says "coming soon". I thought it was out already. It is a facility/enterprise type solution requiring ISIS, Interplay, then the components for the streaming portion. Michael Kammes' 5 Things series goes over the Adobe Anywhere solution which is their solution for remote and collaborative editing. Perhaps he will do an Avid one as KeyKode is a top reseller for Avid Solutions.

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 5, 2015 at 3:21:51 pm

Haven't seen it in action, but was at an Avid Symposium a couple of weeks back where the demo artist, who I've seen demo Avid for at least 14 years, says he uses it on many of his demo trips, rather than using local storage. I asked about download and upload speed etc, and he said right now there isn't any downloading...you are basically on a vpn service, using low res proxys from the source to edit with. He said it works quite well.

Of course he is a salesman as well, but his one story was interesting.

He said he likes to shoot him entering the building (POV style) and then email that clip to "everywhere" main station, where it gets loaded into a watch folder for transcoding. He then goes into the presentation, opens his laptop, plugs into the internet, and launches avid. Opens the project, and plays them a clip of him walking into their building. Pretty cool.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 5, 2015 at 6:59:34 pm

The power of "the cloud" and remote editing/collaboration cannot be denied, and how work gets done moving forward will continue to change. I wanted to be clear about Avid Everywhere and that the term is a grand vision that includes most, if not all of Avid's products and solution whether or not they are on the cloud or not.

The cost of entry (like Adobe) is geared more towards facility and enterprise. If you want to try "cloud editing" you could look to Forescene to get a sense of collaboration that has always been and only is a cloud solution. I am sure there are large broadcast clients looking to enable this. I can see education taking advantage of this as well.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 6, 2015 at 11:33:40 am

I know of a post house that is using some of it.
Media Composer cloud which allows a remote Media composer to access a facilities interplay and ISIS storage over a modest broadband connection.
It takes a bit of setting up and configuration to make it stable and you have to be aware of what it will and won't do for you. If the expectation is a working experience just like being in the post house then you'll be disappointed from the off. (I know a few attempts to make it work that have been abandoned)

Know what it can deliver for you and play to it's strengths and it can be very powerful.

To get an idea of what the experience is like you can transcode some content to the newish H264 proxy resolution now available in MC. There is an 800Kb one and a 2meg one.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 6, 2015 at 1:33:17 pm

I wish Avid would allow the 2MB version in progressive projects.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]