FORUMS: list search recent posts

any good stand alone app for the producers to screen and log the SXS cards on the server avid is my platform

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ross byron boughton
any good stand alone app for the producers to screen and log the SXS cards on the server avid is my platform
on Mar 1, 2015 at 8:27:17 pm

morning people well at long last my company has bought a sever. i can now come out of the dark ages of sneeker net 2005, my question is whats a nice stand alone app for the producers to screen and log the SXS cards on the server avid is my platform is avid play the deal? dont have enough licenses for FCP which would have been my first choice happy friday tia Ross byron

Ross Byron Boughton
Editor / Webmaster / Sound Designer
http://www.inch.com/~bellevue/

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
Re: any good stand alone app for the producers to screen and log the SXS cards on the server avid is my platform
on Mar 1, 2015 at 8:30:04 pm

[ross byron boughton] "whats a nice stand alone app for the producers to screen and log the SXS cards on the server avid is my platform is avid play the deal?"

Mac or Windows? Are they going to be at the server or using computers connected to the server via a network?

Robert

Robert A. Ober
IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelancer
http://www.infohou.com
Houston, TX

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: any good stand alone app for the producers to screen and log the SXS cards on the server avid is my platform
on Mar 2, 2015 at 5:42:13 pm

The challenge with logging software is a careful balance between ease of use, and feature set. Most of the standalone logging systems are no longer available, and even Avid has EOL'd Avid MediaLog (which did not work file-based anyway). Adobe Prelude works with PPro, and I suppose if someone were to create an XML to ALE conversion you could get some of the metadata - Markers are not something that can be imported via a text file.

I did a quick test with Resolve Lite (free) which reads a lot of different formats, but it too can be a lot of overhead for what should be a simple logging interface. One could argue the same thing with using a free trial or monthly rental of Media Composer for the same task. In Resolve, I am able to log multiple clips with one text entry if desired, lots of data fields available. The process of getting that info to Media Composer requires some steps in knowing how to use Resolve - such as make a timeline from MediaPool clips, export ALE, then you need to do some text editing of the ALE in order to properly merge an ALE onto the masters clips (master clips only for merging), etc. SO it can be done, but it is not a beginner level type logging program dedicated to logging only.

Michael

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:11:29 pm

[Michael Phillips] "I did a quick test with Resolve Lite (free) which reads a lot of different formats, but it too can be a lot of overhead for what should be a simple logging interface. One could argue the same thing with using a free trial or monthly rental of Media Composer for the same task. In Resolve, I am able to log multiple clips with one text entry if desired, lots of data fields available. The process of getting that info to Media Composer requires some steps in knowing how to use Resolve - such as make a timeline from MediaPool clips, export ALE, then you need to do some text editing of the ALE in order to properly merge an ALE onto the masters clips (master clips only for merging), etc. SO it can be done, but it is not a beginner level type logging program dedicated to logging only."

I was going to start a metadata for MC from Resolve thread and here we are. Are you going to do an article/blog post on this? Should I understand from what you say above that if I enter info in Resolve and then make dnxhd(r)'s with an aaf for MC 8.3 I will not see the entered metadata when viewing clip info in MC?

This is definitely something Avid and BMD need to correct. This is apparently keeping some folks from starting in Resolve.

Thanks as always MP,
Robert

Robert A. Ober
Houston, TX

Return to posts index

ross byron boughton
on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:16:50 pm

am on macs using computers connected to the server via a network?

Ross Byron Boughton

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:25:09 pm

[ross byron boughton] "am on macs using computers connected to the server via a network?"

If on Macs connected to the clips via a network then MP's suggestion of doing monthly subscriptions to Media Composer for the producers is probably the way to go. I say this even though I really dislike software subscriptions.

You may want to test the free Scratch Player. It plays mxf's on my system but I have the codecs installed via MC and other edit programs.

Hope you find something that works,
Robert

Robert A. Ober
Houston, TX

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:38:52 pm

Scratch Play is great for playing back media types, but it cannot export a any metadata files other than LUT and ASC CDL, nor has a real logging interface other than color management and manipulation.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:41:40 pm

[Michael Phillips] "Scratch Play is great for playing back media types, but it cannot export a any metadata files other than LUT and ASC CDL, nor has a real logging interface other than color management and manipulation."

Good point. I was addressing the need for some folks that just need to play dailies or whatever.

Robert

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:40:19 pm

I need to test AAF with logged metadata - I always merge an ALE to be sure. As far as writing a blog - I'll throw it on the pile to be considered when there is time to write one. :)

Michael

Return to posts index

ross byron boughton
on Mar 6, 2015 at 5:57:58 pm

looks like i will go with the sony XDCam reader for the time being as i need to keep the time codes intact the proMax platform server that we will be setting up says i can create proxies ,how ever i feel the proxies will lose my camera time-codes and just start from zero will be talking with the promax tec about that latter today best Ross Boughton IIL Media will keep you in the loop its friday people

Ross Byron Boughton

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]