FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't relink .ale and.aff

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fernando alves
Can't relink .ale and.aff
on Feb 15, 2015 at 2:33:31 pm

Hello guys,

I am having a problem. Sometimes the .ale and the .aff doesnt relink. Here is what is going on. The logger transcode the material from RED and Alexa in Davinci. He transcode everything to MFXs files. And then he generate an .ale and an .aff. So in the next step I copy all the MXF files to the MFX folder in my hard drive. Most of the times everything goes right. I open the .ale or .aff and relink the files. But, sometimes it goes wrong. I import the .ale or.aff and the I choose relink and it doesnt relink. Can anyone tell me ehat is going wrong? I do have the MXFs files of everything. And sometimes when it goes wrong, I ask to the logger do another .ale ot .aff and its still going wrong.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Can't relink .ale and.aff
on Feb 15, 2015 at 6:54:51 pm

Typically you would copy the files to the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/ folder. Launch Media Composer and import the AAF file. This should relink automatically. Then highlight all the master clips created from the AAF import and do a "merge ALE" into those clips (see import settings for shot log - last check box).

I do not recommend importing an ALE and doing a relink - while it can work, it can be more problematic for audio relinking and there have been reports of files becoming unlinked down the road. The AAF has the ID needed for the clips' picture and sound essence.

If the AAF does not automaticaly relink, then there might be a problem with the AAF - next thing to try is put those files into their own numbered folder, then from a bin, import the mob.msm file (can't remember which one exactly, I am not in front of a system right now) that is in the folder after you launch MC. Then do the ALE merge as mentioned.

Michael

Return to posts index

fernando alves
Re: Can't relink .ale and.aff
on Mar 8, 2015 at 5:52:32 am

Hello Michael,

Thank you for replying it. I do copy the MFXs files into a Avid MediaFiles/MXF/ folder. And copy the AAF into the same External Hard Drive where all the material (MFXs, Projects, Music, Graphics ...) are. Then inside Media Composer I import the AAF into a bin. All time I've done that, all the clips are imported, but it comes Offline. I need to relink it. Almost all the time it does relink, but occasionally it doesn't. And when the clips didn't relink I've asked to the logger to made me another AAF. But it doens't work. The clips doesn't relink.

I ll try do this now, Michael:

"If the AAF does not automaticaly relink, then there might be a problem with the AAF - next thing to try is put those files into their own numbered folder, then from a bin, import the mob.msm file (can't remember which one exactly, I am not in front of a system right now) that is in the folder after you launch MC. Then do the ALE merge as mentioned."

Michael, can i make an folder for each card in the MediaFiles/MXF/ folder. For exemple:

1 st card call it 1
2 nd card call it 2
3 rd card call it 3

and so on. Or it is better to save all in the same folder? I know it has a limit, but i am not reaching this number. And it is causing me nothing, but trouble. Because if I make an separate folder for each AAF tha doesn't relink I would do it as you said. Am I right?

Cheers Michael,

Fernando

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]