FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple format AMA workflow suggestions

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis Snow
Multiple format AMA workflow suggestions
on Feb 12, 2015 at 9:59:34 pm

Hello clever people.

Just come aboard a show and the footage backed up so far is a mess. They've got XDCAM, XF305, 5D, C300, GoPro even iPhone.

Ive created a tape log to keep track of everything. And on the root of the external hard drive I've been using this naming convention.

YYYY_MM_DD_Camera_ReelNo_FirstClip_LastClip_BriefDescription.

Then. In AVID, I've got 2 folders AMA and Transcoded.

- AMA link to each folder on the hard drive. Re-Name the bin YYYY_MM_DD_Camera_ReelNo.
- Transcode the files to DNXHD36.
- Separete .new files into their respective Bins in the transcode folder.

Then. Using a LaCie. I transfer those media files and bins. To a G-Drive attached to a Separete AVID. So the offline editor can cut the show. (I'm assuming he'll just open the needed bins in each episode project).

Question is. Are there any steps I need to take to make sure nothing goes wrong.
Baring in mind the multiple formats. Is this the best way to organise and transcode? Should i modify the source or tape name to something?

Also I'm transcoding on Avid 8. Cutting on Avid 6. Will this cause problems?

I'm basically trying to make confirming/relinking later on as painless as possible.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Multiple format AMA workflow suggestions
on Feb 13, 2015 at 12:57:38 am

[Lewis Snow] "Also I'm transcoding on Avid 8. Cutting on Avid 6. Will this cause problems?"

Yes. MC 6 cannot open bins created by MC8. You need at least MC 6.5 in order to open bins from MC8. Any version earlier won't be able to.

As for AMA linking and transcoding...know that you need to AMA link to the files, and transcode, in a project that matches the settings of the media. If you try to transcode, say 23.98 into a 29.97 project, it'll convert the media's frame rate to 29.97...which is not good. Hmmm...not sure about how to relink to that footage once the cutting is done...that might get tricky. Might need to test things.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 13, 2015 at 2:04:05 am

How to relink to different frame rates after a transcode - might help if you've already started down that path.

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=22

Michael

Return to posts index

Lewis Snow
on Feb 13, 2015 at 9:36:31 am

I don't think there's too many odd frame rates. I can cut stuff in manually if needed.

More worried about the mixing MXF and QT stuff. On a timeline.
And organisation / metadata to help conforming after the offline.

If you guys have a workflow that you prefer using maybe you can break it down here. See if I can pull anything from it.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 13, 2015 at 1:20:31 pm

Unclear as to whether you were renaming the files themselves or keeping a separate log. Renaming files can be dangerous for certain formats like XDCAM, RED, and other that depend on a sidecar metadata file. Typically self contained .mov files are OK to change unless it is an ARRI type recording which also provides either an XML or ALE type metadata files to use that has more than just timecode.

Organization wise, it sees fine - how clips get logged and parsed to bins it defined by program and editor preferences.

Michael

Return to posts index

Lewis Snow
on Feb 13, 2015 at 1:38:37 pm

Oh no, god no. Never gone about re-naming individual files. Just the folder each reel is kept in. So it'll be the given folder name / CONTENTS / CLIPS001 etc etc.

Thats the thing, I'm not sure the editor or program know how they wan't it organised. So I've taken all that on in that respect. I'm just trying to make things easier for myself when it comes to conforming. I dunno I should be bothering with entering tape names, and modifying the source.

Return to posts index

Will Fiennes
on Feb 19, 2015 at 4:00:54 pm

I always modify Source and apply a tape name (which is just the name of the card)

I also add a disk label, which is just the name of the drive that the original files are coming from.

They both help to relink as for example if you ended up for 4 xf cards all with the same clip names and all starting at 00:00:00:00 timecode it can cause the odd issue.

I would say otherwise you are good. If you are using quicktime based material, e.g Gopros 5D's etc then some timecode stamping is a good idea as again you can end up with dup tapenames and timecode.

Edit Assistant/Assistant Editor/Film maker

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]