FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with program window

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendon Rathbone
Problems with program window
on Feb 10, 2015 at 10:16:09 pm

I'm having an issue with my media composer install and wondering if anyone else has run into this. I really only use media composer for transcoding so not overly familiar with it. The program window seems to not refresh at all and just holds anything I drag over top of it.

My build is a supermicro windows 7 machine with a gtx 690 and a gtx 980. I have all of my monitors hooked up to the 690.
Avid is MC 8.3

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Problems with program window
on Feb 11, 2015 at 12:36:47 am

TWO graphics cards? Avid doesn't like that to much. Try taking one out and only using one.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Problems with program window
on Feb 11, 2015 at 2:09:58 pm

You might want to remove a graphics card and see if things improve, as Shane said. Recent versions should be able deal with dual GPUs, but you really should be using approved hardware and drivers to pull that off. You won't get any benefit in Avid from dual GPUs, that's for sure.

A couple of other things to keep in mind....

Avid really hates having windows and pallettes over the source and record monitors. You can get weird refresh artifacts and poor playback, even if things overlap a little.

In addition, when Avid is transcoding in the foreground, it pegs all the processors on your machine and will use all available ram. Trying to do anything else in your machine will be difficult. The latest version has background transcoding, which is slower, but less demanding on your machine.

Lastly, it looks like you are not using an Avid approved configuration, which makes troubleshooting a bit challenging. Doesn't mean it won't work...many people do. You might want to look at the approved Nvidia drivers for Avid and make sure that's what you have installed. If you are using other programs they might require newer drivers than Avid supports, so you might be looking at making multiple boot drives to get around this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]