FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relink Resolve graded 4k files back to Avid MC 8.3

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sabri Liefert
Relink Resolve graded 4k files back to Avid MC 8.3
on Feb 10, 2015 at 11:44:10 am

Hello,

i imported a 4k .aaf timeline from MC to Davinci Resolve.

Graded the files.

Now we want to relink the graded 4k files back in MC.
We tried several settings in the relink dialog. But its not relinking. Perhaps there is a problem with the clip length/starting point?
Is there an other workflow to get the graded files back in place in MC?

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: Relink Resolve graded 4k files back to Avid MC 8.3
on Feb 10, 2015 at 11:47:07 am

To get a successful relink, you have to be sure the timecode and tape name match.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 10, 2015 at 1:52:32 pm

Seeing as it was a roundtrip from MC to start, it will use the same source ID's available to it so one has to hop they match. What I do is once I have color corrected the timeline in Resolve and rendered the files, I go back to the edit page, highlight the sequence in the timeline tab and export AAD. Not NEW AFF! But AAF. This takes the existing AAF that came in and only changes the pointers to the new media leaving all tracks and VFX In place, even if it could not interpret them. YOu will see that the sequence name will now have (Resolve) added to it.

With the rendered mediafiles in a proper MXF/ folder structure, import the AAF(Resolve) sequence and it should just link up to its own rendered media.

Only on very few occasions where conform was back to camera originals and the chance of changing REEL ID might occur that you need to do a "relink to selected" and ensure that TAPE or SOURCE FILE name is properly selected to match.

Michael

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 10, 2015 at 8:47:33 pm

I just did a test using UHD AAF to Resolve 11.2.
I selected DNxHR 444 and rendered it to a new folder.
Then dragged the new AAF and rendered files to a new MediaFiles bin to avoid clutter.
The files didnt load automatically but a drag and drop to a new bin (again to avoid clutter) imported all the files and noticed the AMA linked R3Ds in that new bin.
The sequence seems intact with my grading test but only plays back at yellow level.
No 4K display to play with at the moment :(
Am I doing this right?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 10, 2015 at 10:05:10 pm

Did you start in MC or in Resolve?
Was it AMA linked in MC, then transcoded?
Or linked to camera orignals in Resolve for the conform?
When you say "dragged new AAF" was it really a "new" AFF or the same AAF used in the conform?

AAF should not go into the MediaFiles folder. Only the MXF files. Put the AAF elsewhere like on your desktop to be imported.
DNxH4 at 4K can still have too high a dat rate for your system drives and connectivity, thus the need for yellow mode.

Michael

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 17, 2015 at 1:34:27 pm

Thanks again for your wisdom :)

I will try the same steps with just the MXF in the MXF folder and leave the AAF to another.

I did notice that the MXF files being read are the R3Ds (AMA) and not a copy.

I hope that made sense.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]