FORUMS: list search recent posts

Move between cuts without activating the trim mode

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodrigo Avila
Move between cuts without activating the trim mode
on Feb 9, 2015 at 10:16:17 pm

Hi!

I hope someone can help me, i activate my keyboard to move between cuts in the timeline with A and S letters but everytime i try to move the trim mode is activated automatically.

Do you know how can i fix this to move between cuts?

Thank you everyone!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Move between cuts without activating the trim mode
on Feb 9, 2015 at 10:45:33 pm

A and S activate the trim mode. If you don't want that, map the REWIND and FAST FORWARD options there. They are in the Command Palette in the first tab, MOVE.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Avila
on Feb 9, 2015 at 10:50:10 pm

Hi Shane, i already changed the keyboard to another letters and still is activating the trim mode.

I moved them to N and M

Do you have another idea?

Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2015 at 12:50:25 am

Wherever you put these...up to you. But the one that is assigned to A and S activates the TRIM mode. The ones I mentioned..>FAST FORWARD and REWIND, do not. I use those myself. Assigned to where they are in FCP, the UP and DOWN arrow.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dale Mings
on Feb 10, 2015 at 3:16:32 pm

I would like to join this thread. I was used to using the up and down arrows in FCP to jump back or forward to the next or previous edit. In FCP this works very well, no matter which tracks are enabled. In MC7, the topmost active track seems to determine where you will jump to. Also, the little pink hilight is placed on the transition point between clips, and next time you hit play, it will jump back and play to that point and then repeat. I take it this is the "trim mode" that you are referring to. I too would like to defeat this, as I find it very counter productive.

Snapping, and being able to jump to the next or previous edit are important tools in teaching students how to not produce orphan frames in the sequence. I think this is a weak point with Avid, and I would like to work around it if there is a way.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Feb 10, 2015 at 8:06:03 pm

Just take Shane's advice. Map the FAST FORWARD and REWIND button to your up and down arrow, and it will function EXACTLY like it does in FCP. If you find it is only jumping to edits on your selected track, open the Composer settings and in the FF/REW tab, choose Ignore Track Selectors.

Snapping works well in MC by holding the CMD key and dragging the play head. It will snap to nearest edits.

You will find that almost anything you originally thought were drawbacks of Avid MC to be huge timesaving benefits.

Return to posts index

Dale Mings
on Feb 23, 2015 at 4:05:32 pm

Thanks for your help. I have my up and down keys mapped to "next edit" and "previous edit". I tried what you suggested about the setting in the FF and Rew tab in composer settings, checking the box that reads "ignore track hilight", but it still pays attention to hilighted tracks. If I have one video and two audio tracks open and hit up or down arrow, it will jump to the edit with the audio. If I want to jump to just a video edit, I have to un-hilight the audio tracks. It is also still evoking trim mode. I'm not sure why you refer to fast forward and rewind, as those are mapped to J and L as it came from the factory. Also, with snapping, I have been using the control key to snap, and just recently set it to snap without the control key. Not sure which I like better. I am on a PC, so I don't have a command key.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Feb 23, 2015 at 4:22:46 pm

[Dale Mings] " I tried what you suggested about the setting in the FF and Rew tab in composer settings, checking the box that reads "ignore track hilight", but it still pays attention to hilighted tracks. If I have one video and two audio tracks open and hit up or down arrow, it will jump to the edit with the audio."

That's exactly what's expected. MC has two modes of jumping to edit points. One, the default, will jump to the nearest edit point of the selected tracks. The second (when 'ignore track highlight' is selected) will ignore whatever tracks you have highlighted and jump to the nearest edit point of any track. One of those methods should work for you.

[Dale Mings] "I'm not sure why you refer to fast forward and rewind, as those are mapped to J and L as it came from the factory"

J and L keys are for play forward and play reverse. I am referring to Fast Forward and Rewind. Those are different keys, and will do what you want (jump to nearest edit without invoking Trim mode). This is a picture of my keyboard settings, along with the command palette, so you can see how fast forward and rewind are different from what are mapped on J and L.

Return to posts index

Dale Mings
on Feb 23, 2015 at 6:05:49 pm

OK,you are absolutely right. I appreciate your help. It now works the way I want without invoking trim mode, but....I think this process was very counter-intuitive. "Jump to edit" made sense, while "fast forward" didn't to my mind. I have to say, coming from FCP 7, I'm not happy with the process of learning Avid. I've been using it for about a year, but still find it clunky by comparison. Having said that, Apple has just thumbed their nose at us with FCP X, so I prefer Avid over that beast. Being in an educational setting, I have multiple copies of the various platforms to play with, and I still think FCP 7 is the best so far. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Feb 27, 2015 at 7:42:12 am

Hi Dale, after almost 8 years on FCP ( on Mac), I had to move to MC (on a PC) this week for episodic work. The first couple of days were really frustrating. I had the same problem with moving between edit points. I'm slowly getting used to the short cuts. I still prefer PrPro or FCPX, since I'm so used to it. But I'm beginning to like the familiar feeling of the Avid, I started on the MC 16 yrs back. There are a few things I hate about MC, but I think after another week, all the frustrations would seep out.
I have most of the shortcuts mapped out like it was on FCP 7, still having a lot of gotchas. It's all fun though. Wish I wasn't working against a tight deadline though:(

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]