FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't add any script markers in 8.3

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amar Chauhan
Can't add any script markers in 8.3
on Feb 4, 2015 at 4:54:55 pm

Hey guys,

I've just started the process of cutting together a short film which is fairly complex (at least for the meager experience I have) and was hoping to use the script tools in AVID to aid me in this venture, however, I have been unable to add any script marks whatsoever, I can add the clip to the script and span it across multiple lines, I cannot however do anything else.

I am running AVID Media Composer 8.3 and I am not running Scriptsync, though I'm pretty sure this is unrelated as its is to do with manual syncing as opposed to audio aided syncing that I understand Scriptsync to do.

I am more perplexed as when I go to delete the take from the script I can see an option (greyed out) to delete marks which I'm pretty sure means I should be able to add them.

I've tried with both master and subclips and am at a complete loss of what to do next.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Can't add any script markers in 8.3
on Feb 4, 2015 at 6:23:50 pm

I am on Win 7 and just tried manual syncing of clips against a script and it works just fine. Drag clip onto script, highlight take(s) (lasso them), then hit the record button (top left in window with a dot). The clip line turns green and will start playing. As it plays, click the line that matches on the script. Hit the space bar to stop. Marks appear in script.

One issue I noticed and brought up in beta is that the icons at the top of the page have no color... the record button used to be red, and flashed when the the syncing mode was active. Also, the color span selection does not display what is selected. You do have the ability to shift sync positions, but all of that is manual now as you know.

Script Based editing (without the phonetic sync technology) has not gotten much attention in many years, and 8.3 does show further regression as noted.

Michael

Return to posts index

Amar Chauhan
on Feb 4, 2015 at 6:25:58 pm

Thanks,

I've tried it and it works!

I feel that this is a little clunkier than I remember though as I seem to remember being able to scan to a spot in the clip and add a marker at that spot. but thank you very much. It is most certainly going to come in handy.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 4, 2015 at 8:38:23 pm

You can do that as well my mapping the script button functions to the source monitor. From there you play and park on the clip position and with the line highlighted on script, add a mark. Depending on amount of clips, duration, and such, all methods are somewhat clunky and more time consuming compared to phonetic alignment with ScriptSync.

Return to posts index

Amar Chauhan
on Feb 4, 2015 at 8:41:36 pm

Yeah so that's my issue, I can't seem to make marks on the script through the source monitor tools. Not sure if it's me doing it wrong, as I've tried on both Yosemite and Windows 8 (the systems available to me right now) but I'll keep on with the record and click for the tone being until I can test it more

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 4, 2015 at 8:56:01 pm

I got it that to work for me on Win 7 with v8.3. Highlight take and line (cross section) on the scipt. Then find position in clipwhen loaded in source monitor. You need to add a Mark IN then click the "Add Script Mark" in order for it to work. No Mark In, no worky.

Michael

Return to posts index

Julie Hwang
on May 13, 2016 at 7:55:32 am

I'm having this problem in 8.5.2 on Yosemite.
No matter what I try, I can't assign script marks from the source using the Add Script Mark command.

Playing through is the only thing that works, but I don't have time for that.

Is there any more information on how to get this working?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 13, 2016 at 9:29:18 am

I'll try later today on a 10.10.5 OS X which is what I'm running in addition to Win 7.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 13, 2016 at 2:37:20 pm

On OS X10.10.5 running MC 8.5.x, I cannot add a Script Mark. Looks like a bug that has been there for a few versions. Email has been sent to Avid.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 13, 2016 at 7:50:29 pm

The bug is that you cannot add a script mark on any clip that might have a transform on it, be it frame rate mix and match, color (LUT) or size (FrameFlex).

The bug has been entered into the database.

If you transcoded the sources to match project and bake in color and resolution transforms, you should be fine for ScriptSync, but may be not what you want to do.

Michael

Return to posts index

Joseph Fulton
on Jun 21, 2016 at 6:29:35 pm

Do you know if/when there is an update for adding script mark to clips with transforms on them? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 21, 2016 at 7:24:01 pm

While I can't speak to the beta overall (features, release date, etc.), this issue seems to have been resolved.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]