FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing media to Avid MC from the New Sony FS7 Camera

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
philip coccioletti
Importing media to Avid MC from the New Sony FS7 Camera
on Feb 3, 2015 at 3:48:23 am

Anyone have an easy import to Avid from the new Sont FS7 camera.
I tried AMA Volume with not much success.
There are a number of folders in the original files. Its MXF which is native in Avid.
I tried just grabbing the MXF master files dragged them into a avid bin and it crashed my system.

Seems like it should be a relative easy AMA volume import... but I find it a bit confusing.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

phil

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Importing media to Avid MC from the New Sony FS7 Camera
on Feb 3, 2015 at 4:27:32 am

I don't believe Sony has released an AMA plug-in that supports this camera yet. And despite it being MXF. there's more to it than just the wrapper, such as the codec itself. One can use the Drastic Technology's Media Reactor AMA plug-in which does decode these files via AMA, but at a price. More info here:

http://www.drastic.tv/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58:media...

Would love to get my hands on a few sample files if you can spare any. You can use filemail.com to send fairly large packages to an email. If possible, send some to michael[at]24p[dot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Feb 6, 2015 at 5:59:12 pm

If you are talking about XAVC-I and not the long GOP version then they are the same as the XAVC from the F5 so they should AMA with whatever plugin works for the F5. Do not Auto, select the plugin.

Having said that, I own an FS7 and I start in Resolve then use the roundtrip setting to send media and an AAF to MC. Other than a bit of extra time, I am not sure why more folks aren't doing this. It saves a lot of trouble and with the clone tool one can backup the media. Also, don't forget the "Use reel names setting" in Resolve. Michael can tell you what is best there better than I.

Good Fortune,
Robert

Return to posts index

philip coccioletti
on Feb 6, 2015 at 7:13:36 pm

Thanks for your info
The AMA would not bring in the FS7 files on my Avid MC 6.5.2
The files were like 4K to internal cards. 3840 x 2160
I actually downloaded this apple pro app codeck 2.0 and then just brought the files into Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate and it converted everything to HD 1920x1080p and looked great on import.
Its a shame they are MXF files which avid creates and you just can't drag them into any bin.

An avid tech friend wrote: Support for the footage in QuickTime applications (useful for transcoding in say an MPEG Streamclip or Adobe Media Encoder requires the installation of the Apple Pro Apps Codec 2.0 which can be downloaded from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396

What my friend wound up doing was installing the Apple Pro Video Codecs 2.0 update and then using Adobe Media Encoder in his case to transcode the footage to 1920x1080 ProRes and importing from there or you can also export to DNX and match the frame rate / resolution of your project and then Avid will do Fast Import when you try to import those clips which should go a lot faster with most of the transcoding done earlier.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 6, 2015 at 7:23:11 pm

[philip coccioletti] "Its a shame they are MXF files which avid creates and you just can't drag them into any bin."

While they share the same .mxf extension, they are not the same file type. Avid's native MXF wrapper is OPAtom where each essence tracks is a separate file (video, audio 1, audio 2, etc.). Cameras tend to use OPAtom 1a which is one file for all tracks. Then there is a codec difference inside the wrapper. Avid supports several codecs as native, but not this one. DNxHD and DNxHR being the "most" native" as they are optimized by Avid for MC and shared storage systems.

Michael

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Feb 6, 2015 at 9:17:32 pm

[philip coccioletti] "I actually downloaded this apple pro app codeck 2.0 and then just brought the files into Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate and it converted everything to HD 1920x1080p and looked great on import."

Which is not necessary as Resolve Lite is free and can output an AAF and 1080 DnXHD media from XAVC-I UHD (3840) media. You can then send the edit from MC back to Resolve and reconnect to the original camera files.

I don't work for BMD but I do believe in the Resolve workflow and own a Resolve Software license.

And of course you can color correct/grade in Resolve before exporting.

Robert

Robert A. Ober
IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelancer
http://www.infohou.com
Houston, TX

Return to posts index

chris king
on Jun 12, 2015 at 9:14:49 am

As it claimed, with AMA link in Avid Media Composer, XAVC codec can be supported well. Whereas, the XAVC video included in PXW-FS7 is not supported perfectly by Avid Media Composer so far based on our multiple testing and users’ feedback. It will be a bit hard when working Sony PXW-FS7 footage with Avid MC. Well, things can be different if you change XAVC to Avid Media Composer more edit-friendly format DNxHD.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jun 12, 2015 at 3:19:24 pm

[chris king] " It will be a bit hard when working Sony PXW-FS7 footage with Avid MC. Well, things can be different if you change XAVC to Avid Media Composer more edit-friendly format DNxHD."

One has to be careful when speaking of codecs and containers. There are several versions of XAVC and subversions if you consider the mbs.

XAVC-S and XAVC-L may be an issue for AVID, I don't know as I don't shoot those. I did just AMA'ed to 1080/23.98p XAVC-I from the Sony FS7 and it seems to play fine on my maxxed out late 2013 15"MBP Retina . Usual cavaets apply. Select the correct AMA plugin in the list and if using the Folder version make sure to select the folder above the card structure. And of course you should have copied the card structure to a subfolder (not root) on a drive.

The XAVC-I that the FS7 shoots is the same as F5/55 uses.

On the other hand, I stand by my earlier suggestion for folks to start in Resolve. Folks spend too much time trying to make AMA work.

Hope y'all have some fun,
Robert

Return to posts index

Ken Eakins
on Nov 20, 2015 at 1:55:24 pm

Robert, could you point to a tutorial on this? I'm having a hell of time getting FS7 rushes into MC, and would love a nice Resolve roundtrip. The only roundtrips I can find start with Avid, which is no use in this case.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 23, 2015 at 3:22:29 am

Hey Folks,

I have put an outline style guide to using Resolve for making media for Media Composer on my website at http://www.infohou.com/Opinion.html. This first part is starting in Resolve to make media and an AAF for Media Composer. I will at some point do a similar post for the trip back even though there are many articles that cover that. Thanks to Michael Phillips for the Reel Name from Source Clip Filename tip.

I believe Scott Freeman did a detailed article here on the cow about this but he includes procedures that I have not found to be necessary.

Hope this helps,
Robert

Robert A. Ober
Houston, TX

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 23, 2015 at 4:11:00 pm

Thanks Robert - a nice concise step by step for "dailies". One thing I try to avoid is any AAF for clips that have audio tracks. I have found it to be very hit and miss. Video only seems to work well.

Other considerations for users is whether you want to to work at camera source resolution or at project resolution as they may not be the same. If working at anything above HD you will want to select DNxHR.

Michael

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 26, 2015 at 1:39:33 am

[Michael Phillips] "Thanks Robert - a nice concise step by step for "dailies". One thing I try to avoid is any AAF for clips that have audio tracks. I have found it to be very hit and miss. Video only seems to work well.

Other considerations for users is whether you want to to work at camera source resolution or at project resolution as they may not be the same. If working at anything above HD you will want to select DNxHR."

Hello,

Thanks for taking a look at it, much appreciated. I put your comments on the page with credit and a link to 24p/wordpress. Maybe the long holiday will allow me to outline the trip back and why I believe it is important.

I am still surprised at how may folks recommend transcoding workflows that don't allow one to reconnect to the camera originals for grading/finishing. Some of the ol Pros should know better. As you know, some if not many, of the codecs and/or containers that Avid does not support are supported in Resolve and other apps that allow one to trip back and connect to the cam originals.

Ok, ...off the box;-)

By the way, I have not had issues with audio coming from Resolve that I can recall.

Y'all have a good something,
Robert

Robert A. Ober
Houston, TX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]