FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Pan & Zoom Effect V6.5 vs V7.04

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Ryan
Avid Pan & Zoom Effect V6.5 vs V7.04
on Feb 3, 2015 at 1:28:25 am
Last Edited By Neil Ryan on Feb 3, 2015 at 2:09:16 am

I had a Template made up in MC v6.5 for Editors to use Stills in their Timelines. This Template used several layers, giving us the Photo on top layer, pseudo shadow layer under that, and the main background under that.
This Template didn't translate in our update to V7. I realised that in V6.5, I had applied the Pan & Zoom Effect to filler and this allowed the Background to be all the layers underneath. This doesn't work in V7. But on reading both the 6.5 & 7 Documentation, I realised I was getting away with a cheat. Both User Guides state that you should NOT apply the effect to filler; it must be a placeholder of an actual clip. (In 6.5 it happened to work; in V7 it crashes.)
So, as I try to recreate this Template correctly in V7, I find that the Video Background only seems to come from the segment that the Avid Pan & Zoom Effect is added to, and so does not see through to multiple layers. I get around this by nesting my multiple background layers, then adding the Avid Pan & Zoom Effect onto them, so the 'background' is a Submaster of multiple layers.

Am I using the Avid Pan & Zoom Effect correctly for V7?

thanks,
Neil.

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: Avid Pan & Zoom Effect V6.5 vs V7.04
on Feb 3, 2015 at 12:46:20 pm

I recently became aware that Avid Pan & Zoom was based on QuickTime until Avid Version 7 because of the shift from 32 bit to 64 bit. Maybe that's relevant to your problem.

More info is in this thread on Avid's Customer Forums: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/132270.aspx

Hope this helps.

Roger

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
Re: Avid Pan & Zoom Effect V6.5 vs V7.04
on Feb 3, 2015 at 9:33:48 pm

Interesting read Roger, thanks for that, although all the suites here are on Mac systems. Always helps to understand the workings behind things.
The Effect does work for us and your link probably explains why the Effect didn't translate in the upgrade from 6.5 to 7.04 on our Macs.
I trust I'm using it correctly, now as I clearly wasn't in 6.5. I just happened to be getting away with it. Shows what a handy reference the User Guide can be, no matter how long you've been using the gear.
Cheers,
Neil.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]