FORUMS: list search recent posts

Consolidate / Transcode Question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessey Riley
Consolidate / Transcode Question
on Jan 29, 2015 at 11:19:57 pm

Hi everybody,
We have a project we're working on and the editor wants to borrow the online media from an old project he worked on and put it in the new project. I said we need to consolidate the media to the new project. That way when I delete the media in the old project in a few days, it will not affect what he is doing in the new project. We both got puzzled on the menu options.

First we option dragged the media files from the old project bin into the new project bin.

Then we clicked on consolidate / transcode. The original media was transcoded to another media drive - let's say drive 1. (also does this process differ if the files are AMA linked?)

The new project is going to be on media 2. So I want to consolidate the media there.

Do I leave "skip native media files already on the target drive?" What does this mean if it is checked / unchecked?

Then it goes to the next selection, "keep native master clips linked to media on original drive" / "relink native master clips to media on the target drive" which one is the right one to use?

I've used the consolidate / transcode option before when backing up sequences not full clips.
In that case, I've hooked up a backup drive, picked the frame handles and UNchecked the skip native media files on the target drive so it would make new clips.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jessey

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Consolidate / Transcode Question
on Jan 30, 2015 at 3:13:37 am

[Jessey Riley] "Do I leave "skip native media files already on the target drive? What does this mean if it is checked / unchecked?"

In this case, it doesn't matter if it's checked or not. it simply means "if the media I'm consolidating is already on this drive, don't consolidate." You know the media isn't, so it doesn't matter if it's checked or not.

[Jessey Riley] "Then it goes to the next selection, "keep native master clips linked to media on original drive" / "relink native master clips to media on the target drive" which one is the right one to use?"

Depends on what you want. When you do the first option the clips will be appended with a .new...meaning those .new clips are on the drive you consolidated to...and the other clips will be left alone. If you relink the masters to the NEW drive, then the clips will be labelled .old...meaning they are now linked to the first location. I prefer to keep native master clips linked to media on original drive.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jessey Riley
Re: Consolidate / Transcode Question
on Feb 3, 2015 at 5:09:35 pm

Thanks for getting back to me - really appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]