FORUMS: list search recent posts

No video playback in Composer

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Harrison
No video playback in Composer
on Jan 29, 2015 at 12:27:00 am

I now have a bigger issue with no video playback in the composer. The audio plays fine but the video is a white screen.

I don't think I have a system that is "certified" by Avid, but I have used it before on this machine and it worked fine. Could maybe some update caused a conflict with my video card? How can I fix this?

My specs are:

i7 5829k 3.5mhz, 2 Geforce 980's 4gb vram sli, SSD start up, and Asus Rampage Extreme Moterboard, 32gb ddr4 ram.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: No video playback in Composer
on Jan 29, 2015 at 2:23:14 pm

Are these AMA linked clips? Native DNxHD, other? Version of MC, version of OS?

Michael

Return to posts index

Shawn Harrison
on Jan 29, 2015 at 5:24:14 pm

It does this with all formats and linking of media files. When you open a project the composer window is already glitchy and unusable. It is either gray and shows through to the desktop and freezes or is white. I am guessing this is some kind of video card issue.

Return to posts index

Mark Renz
on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:36:19 pm

I would guess wrong driver for video card. Use one that is included it the media composer folder. Sorry I can't give you the exact location, I am running a Mac at the moment..

Mark Renz
Senior Editor
Outpost Worldwide

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:44:47 pm

Program Files/Avid/Utilities/nVidia

Michael

Return to posts index

Shawn Harrison
on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:52:39 pm

Change drivers? As in uninstall what NVIDIA gives me? Or is it something you install in addition to regular ones? I don't want it to interfere with Adobe CC

Return to posts index

Mark Renz
on Jan 29, 2015 at 10:10:49 pm

yes, more than likely need to uninstall the driver and install what is supplied by Avid.

Mark Renz
Senior Editor
Outpost Worldwide

Return to posts index

Shawn Harrison
on Jan 30, 2015 at 3:45:08 am

I looked in the folder. It looks like they supply the regular drivers, but an older version of mine. I'm on 347.25 and they gave me 340.84 ,but I don't know if the driver they gave is for the quadro or geforce, or what version of Avid they gave that driver for. Plus why would I roll back my driver and potentially have other issues with my other programs? I have never had a single problem like this with premiere working across many kinds of Macs and PCs. I don't get how Avid's software engineering always feels so behind to me.

Is there anything else I can do perhaps before I go messing around with drivers?

I do appreciate the help. Apologies for the frustration.

Return to posts index

Shawn Harrison
on Jan 30, 2015 at 5:37:16 am

So I uninstalled my driver. I then restarted, but Windows automatically re-installed the latest driver. I then turned of auto updates for detected hardware, but then it automatically downloaded 344.75...which I don't understand why...BUT, with that driver Avid seems to work fine. I am getting playback. Also, when I try to install the driver Avid gave me it says they failed to located compatible hardware so I am guessing that driver is meant for the Quadro series...

Will Avid fix their compatibility issue? I am happy that at least I didn't have to roll back that far driver wise, but I really don't like that Avid wants my system to adapt to it rather then Avid adapting to my system. Isn't that kinda arrogant?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 30, 2015 at 3:55:18 pm

Good question for Avid. I run into mismatches between driver for Resolve and Media Composer on my PC. Most likely a question of resources and testing, as we are told when asking on other issues.

Michael

Return to posts index

Mark Renz
on Jan 30, 2015 at 6:33:16 pm

Yes it does become an issue sometimes trying to get drivers to work with all software.

I also run a GeForce card in my PC and I think I just use what Windows installs. This seems to work ok with the versions of Avid and Resolve I run.

Mark Renz
Senior Editor
Outpost Worldwide

Return to posts index

Shawn Harrison
on Jan 30, 2015 at 8:51:10 pm

Can you please look up what GeForce driver, operating system version, and version of Avid you are using? That would be so helpful in trouble shooting, and I would very much appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Mark Renz
on Jan 30, 2015 at 9:01:20 pm

I can look for the Nvidia driver over the weekend, it is on my home system. I can tell you Avid version is 8.2 and Windows is 8.1

Mark Renz
Senior Editor
Outpost Worldwide

Return to posts index

Mark Renz
on Feb 12, 2015 at 5:37:27 pm

I know I am a little late in my reply. The driver version I have running with my GeForce card is 337.88 I am running Media Composer 8.2 Getting ready to update to 8.3

Mark Renz
Senior Editor
Outpost Worldwide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]